– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Oat Types

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:35 am

Oat Types

Did this for a club email, thought I would share. This is taken from Cooks Thesaurus (great stuff on there). Maybe stick this in the FAQ ingredient section or something.

instant oats = instant oatmeal Notes: These are very thin, precooked oats that need only be mixed with a hot liquid. They usually have flavorings and salt added. They're convenient, but not as chewy and flavorful as slower-cooking oats. Substitutes: quick oats (chewier, takes longer to cook)

quick oats = quick-cooking oats = quick oatmeal = quick-cooking oatmeal = easy oats Notes: These are thin flakes of oatmeal that cook up in about three or four minutes. They're a good choice for oatmeal cookies. Substitutes: rolled oats (More nutritious and chewy, takes longer to cook. If substituting rolled oats for quick oats in a cookie recipe, consider refrigerating the dough for 20 minutes before baking-- otherwise the cookies may become too flat and thin) OR instant oats (This contains additional flavorings, and is less chewy. It also takes less time to cook)

rolled oats = oatmeal = rolled oatmeal = old-fashioned oats = old-fashioned oatmeal = flaked oats (brewing) = flaked oatmeal = oatflakes Notes: These are oat groats that are steamed, rolled, and flaked so that they cook quickly. They're often cooked as a breakfast cereal, added raw to granola or muesli mixes, or used to make oatmeal cookies. Regular rolled oats take about five minutes to cook. If you're in a hurry, try quick oats or instant oats. These have thinner flakes, so they cook faster. Substitutes: steel-cut oats (chewier, takes longer to cook) OR quick oats (These are less chewy, but they take less time to cook.) OR instant oats (These usually have additional flavorings. They're less chewy, but they take less time to cook.) OR triticale flakes OR rye flakes

Steel-cut oats = Irish oats = Scotch oats = pinhead oats = coarse-cut oats = steel-cut oatmeal = Irish oatmeal = Scotch oatmeal = pinhead oatmeal = coarse-cut oatmeal = porridge oats = porridge oatmeal Notes: These are groats that have been chopped into small pieces. They're chewier than rolled oats, and grain aficionados often prefer them for hot oatmeal cereals and muesli. Substitutes: rolled oats (less chewy, takes less time to cook) OR whole oat groats (takes much longer to cook)

Oat groats = whole oat groats = whole oats Notes: Oat groats are minimally processed--only the outer hull is removed. They're very nutritious, but they're chewy and need to be soaked and cooked a long time.[/b]
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
BJCP Continuing Education Director
Grand Master Judge
http://www.bjcp.org
http://www.bjcp.org/cep

Homer Simpson - 'Homer no function beer well without.'
<<

Taylor-MadeAK

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Instant oats don't always have additives. They're the same thing as the flaked oats you buy at your LHBS, only they cost half as much.
Primary: Nothing. Gainfully employed now, but still broke.
Secondary:
Bottled: Saké 2010
Make some sake.
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:37 pm

'Instant' oats are not the same thing as Flaked Oats at all. Instant oats have been precooked. Flaked oats have been rolled through hot rollers to flatten them which in the process gelatinizes them. The taste is markedly different.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
Grand Master Judge

<<

andrikos

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Great info, thanks Mashweasel!

I bought 10lbs of Oat Malt from NB (Fawcett) and I was shocked at how "hully" the crushed grain was (I crushed it). There are a LOT of hulls in Oat Malt (No stuck sparges here).

I added 7oz of oat malt in my Fibonacci IIPA and it seems to give it some nice "slick" sweetness to balance the 93IBUs of the brew.

Mashweasel, have you brewed with Oat Malt and if so could you give us some advice on it?

I'm thinking of making an "OatMalt" Stout. Since it's malted grain, I'm assuming it can convert itself but probably not much else.

This is my proposed recipe:

Andrikos' Oat Malt Stout
Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/20/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Andreas Georgiades
Boil Size: 6.57 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.82 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 40.82 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRM) Grain 10.20 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) (609.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
4.0 oz Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 2.04 %
1.00 oz Pacific Gem [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 39.0 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 39.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 62.8 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 12.25 lb
Sparge Water: 4.46 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.31 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Last edited by andrikos on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P1:17D yr 1
Kegged: 2A, 3A, k1ck 455 14C, k1ck 455, 4C, 12C, 13F,fibonacci 19C, prickly pear mead
Bottled: 17A, 18E, 11C, 12B, 23A, 27A, 25C, 26B
Next up: 17A take II, DT clone
Addicted brewer since 3/17/07
Batches: 26
Styles: 26
<<

Taylor-MadeAK

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:15 pm

Eh, you're absolutely correct. Please ignore my whining-toddler-fogged reply, I was really thinking of "quick oats" when I was going on about flaked oats etc. I always just buy these:

Two pounds for less than a buck is much better than the $3/lb my LHBS wants for flaked oats.
Primary: Nothing. Gainfully employed now, but still broke.
Secondary:
Bottled: Saké 2010
Make some sake.
<<

Narvin

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Some guy in my homebrew club used 3 pounds of regular old fashioned Quaker Oats in a 10 pound batch of stout. Didn't pre-cook, cereal mash, or anything, and people voted it the best of the night. Hmm...
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:05 am

Narvin,

Not sure what you mean. Quaker Oats are crap however that doesn't mean your buddies beer wasnt great.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
Grand Master Judge

<<

st_stephen

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:07 pm

That recipe looks good, does anyone have any recipes that they have made before? I have some TF oat malt and want to make something up with it.
Stephen
<<

WitSok

Brewer

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Instant oats have been precooked. Flaked oats have been rolled through hot rollers to flatten them which in the process gelatinizes them.

Maybe I missed something here, but cooking is to prepare or treat by heating. So both are precooked, perhaps one is more "cooked" than the other.
<<

crabber

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:14 pm

WitSok wrote:
Instant oats have been precooked. Flaked oats have been rolled through hot rollers to flatten them which in the process gelatinizes them.

Maybe I missed something here, but cooking is to prepare or treat by heating. So both are precooked, perhaps one is more "cooked" than the other.

No, you're not missing anything. Rolled oats have been cooked (steamed) and rolled once, instant oats, twice. Assuming Mashweasel is correct, then the flaked oats found in your LHBS must be a little different than typical quaker rolled oats, and the starches must not be so gelatinized.
On Tap: Imperial IPA
Fermenting: Amber Ale, Imperial Choklat Stout
Next Brew: Denny's RIPA
<<

U.P.brew

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Another good oat reference is the show "Good Eats" . He goes over all this stuff in pretty good detail. Thanks mashweasel, I saw this in the club email and wanted to respond.

Return to Northern Brewer General