– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Michelob Golden Draft/Golden Draft Light

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Borch

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:56 pm

Michelob Golden Draft/Golden Draft Light

I know it offends everyone's finer palettes to bring up a BMC product, but I'm curious to find out just how many places this beer is sold. I've heard 3 or 4 different stories as to why it's not national but I'm not sure any one of them is the truth.

So, here's my question to all, and it has three parts. First, do they sell this beer where you live? Second, if so where do you live? And third, does anyone know the real story about why this beer is not nationally marketed?
This public service message was brought to you by the fine folks at BackYard BeerWorks.
<<

chicobrewer

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:07 pm

I've never seen it here in Northern California.
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
--Thomas Jefferson

Think you screwed up? RDWHAHB
<<

dkrel

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:41 pm

Few years ago I went through the Budweiser thing at the state fair and they said that it started out as a test market in Minnesota and just kind of stuck. I have heard the reason that they never marketed out of certain areas was to keep Bud light as the light beer of choice.

Searching the web, here is what I found out:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_buy_M ... n_Missouri

Here's the answer I got from Budweiser:

"Thank you for taking the time to visit our Web site and contact Anheuser-Busch. We appreciate your interest in enjoying the refreshing taste of Michelob Golden Draft.

At this time, Michelob Golden Draft and Michelob Golden Draft Light are only available in select areas of Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. At this time we do not have any information about a possible expansion of Michelob Golden Draft or Michelob Golden Draft Light to Missouri. We sincerely apologize if this causes you any disappointment.

Please know that we are sharing your interests with our Michelob brand team. We hope that one day soon you will have an opportunity to enjoy an ice-cold bottle of Michelob Golden Draft."

From what I understand, to get it in WI, MN, SD, ND, IL, IA or NE - call 800-Dial-Bud (800-342-5283) and they will help you find it. Happy hunting.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
Frank Sinatra
<<

AOD

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:04 pm

I think Michelob Light is one of the best light beers you can buy...but Mich Golden Light isn't horrible either. It was sold in the Chicago area...not available in NC now.

I bought some Miller Lite tonight to drink watching 8 hours of football. My Bears were playing the Broncos, so I couldn't drink Coors Light...

I grew up though...having a Fat Tire now.

~Adam
Kegged: IPA #1 (Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo), IPA #2 (Zythos), Fire in the Hole, ABS (Adam's Bourbon Stout), Kentucky Winter Warmer, Hoo-Moo Chocolate Milk Stout, Dortmunder Lager #1-#2, Schwarzbier #1-2, Old Ale
Next Brews: This ish is SERIOUS!
<<

bo_gator

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm

AOD wrote:I grew up though...having a Fat Tire now.

~Adam
Where did you get Fat Tire in Asheville :?:
Critical thinking is our other national deficit

Usually in error, but always sounding like I know what I am talking about :cheers:
<<

CaptainAmazing

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:44 pm

They just started selling it in Iowa within the last year or two. Before then people who went home to Minnesota for the holidays would bring back as many cases as they could fit in their trunks (literally sometimes). I knew some people who would take orders before they went back to Minnesota. For some reason people get obsessed with Mich Golden Light. Maybe they are hypnotized by the multi-faceted cans...
<<

VoodooBrew

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:09 am

Isn't it hilarious/sad how A-B can't cut through the bullshit for even one moment, as evidenced in that e-mail they sent you:

"We appreciate your interest in enjoying the refreshing taste of Michelob Golden Draft."
"We hope that one day soon you will have an opportunity to enjoy an ice-cold bottle of Michelob Golden Draft."

Good lord, can they be any more phoney?
<<

Elsinore

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:53 am

It's been in Minnesota for at least the last 12 years, because I remember it was the "good beer" when I was in college. It was $12/case at Sam's Club, whereas Busch Light was $7.99. Huge difference to a college student.

The story I've heard has already been mentioned--that Minnesota(maybe parts of Wisconsin, too) was the test market, and they haven't been able to get rid of it since.

I think that it's mostly an outstate beer, though. Hardly anybody drinks it in the city, and if they do, it's because that's what they used to drink back home before moving to the city and can't get out of the habit of drinking it. :)
<<

dkrel

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:04 am

I want to say that it came out in 1992 or 1993, I rememeber in college going to someone's house and they had the "good" stuff. We used to drink Busch light as well, I want to say on sale we could get it for $5.99 a case. But, those were the days with a 20-dollar bill three of us could go out get hammered and get something to eat.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
Frank Sinatra
<<

damntheman

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:22 am

Since it came to Iowa awhile back, several of my friends have started drinking Golden Lite almost exclusively. When I go tailgating, I see a ton of people drinking that, but there's also a lot of Keystone being chugged as well :lol: . It is a pretty good beer for being basically a BMC, but I'd take a good old PBR over a Golden Lite anytime.
Mike's Brewing Page
http://www.mikebeer.net

Ames Brewers League
http://www.amesbrewersleague.org
<<

Little Egypt

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:38 am

I had it a couple of years ago here in extreme southern IL. I haven't seen it for a while though....

Cheers,
Aaron
"May the ground rise up to meet you and break your fall."
<<

NDBrewer

Apprentice Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:43 am

It was an Indiana staple in the lat '90s. I see it in IA and St Louis now.
<<

Cleatus

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:58 pm

good god- I dont think i have ever NOT seen it...
My homebrew beer has overtones of battery acid with a nice, buttery phlem finish.

Primary=soem sort of lager
Secondary= some sort of oktoberfest
Thidenairy- some sort of wheat
<<

deslni01

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:19 pm

As a Minnesotan, I've had Michelob around my house since I was young. It's pretty good stuff and I doubt it will ever not be sold in Minnesota or most of the Midwest with how well their sales have been.
<<

jonesy112

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Haha, nice captianamazing. When I was reading that i thought the multifacited sounded familiar, didnt even click it was you until your avatar. Multifacited cans are cool, but the glass is better.

And hes not kidding, I live in Iowa and my roomate was from MN....everytime he went home he loaded up the back of the blazer with bar packs. Kinda amazing that I enjoy a mass produced beer that much.

Return to Northern Brewer General