Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Need a substitute for Munich Malt

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

razzamanaz

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Need a substitute for Munich Malt

I would like to get some porter going and the recipe calls for 6 lbs of Munich Malt and its not in season yet....

Any ideas of a good substitute? I'm just starting the recipe phase of brewing and would like to experiment a little.

Desire a high gravity (1.08 to 1.1) whats a good yeast for this?
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:51 pm

Not in season .... huh? You should easily be able to find Munich Malt at any homebrew shop or online retailer. Vienna is probably the best substitution.
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

OldSock

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:15 pm

As the previous poster said, there is no season for Munich, unless your local store only wants to stock it certain times of the year for some reason.

There really is no substitute for Munich. You could use aromatic, which is essentially really dark Munich malt, in combination with pale/pils/vienna to get close, but I’m not sure what the ratio would be.

Also when using a large proportion of munich malt make sure that it is made from 2-row malt, as I understand it the kind made with 6-row can get very harsh in large quantities.
Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and buy my book: American Sour Beers
<<

UT_BKC

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm

How do Munich and Vienna compare? I've read different recipes for the same style beer that call for munich, or vienna, or some combination, depending on who came up with the recipe.
Hook 'Em!
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:24 pm

UT_BKC wrote:How do Munich and Vienna compare? I've read different recipes for the same style beer that call for munich, or vienna, or some combination, depending on who came up with the recipe.

Vienna is kindalike a light munich, sorta.
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

Fatso

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:52 pm

kinda hard to replace.... only suggestion i got is use the same poundage of vienna/aromatic in a mix to get *about* the same lovibond
"A pint of your best bitter for me, and my young friend will have a laaager.... the gassier the better" - Tinker Dill
<<

stoppenbach

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:04 pm

Re: Need a substitute for Munich Malt

razzamanaz wrote:I would like to get some porter going and the recipe calls for 6 lbs of Munich Malt and its not in season yet....

Any ideas of a good substitute? I'm just starting the recipe phase of brewing and would like to experiment a little.

Desire a high gravity (1.08 to 1.1) whats a good yeast for this?

Since Munich malt is readily available online, why would you sub for it? I wouldn't waste time trying to find one.

For your high gravity beer, you can just use regular California Ale yeast (Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001, or Safale dry S-05).

Return to Northern Brewer General