40%
Yes
60%

Total votes : 5
<<

Ollie's Ales

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Why won't my beer carbonate?

I have an issue with my latest batch – It just won't carbonate.

The wort was well mixed with the 3/4 c. dextrose at racking time, and the beers that I have popped so far tasted just fine (in terms of not being infected) and were barely starting to carbonate. The 5 gal. batch sat in the primary for a week, and then the secondary for two weeks. This Sunday will mark its 5th week in the bottles (which are stored at about 68º with no light or disturbances). Here is the recipe I used:

8 lbs. light LME
2 lbs. light DME (this includes the 200g in the starter)
1 lb. Carapils
1 lb. Munich 10L
1 lb. Crystal 40L

1 oz Chinook 60 mins
1 oz Nugget 45 mins
1 oz Amarillo 20 mins
1 oz Amarillo 10 mins
1 oz Amarillo 7 mins
1 oz Centennial 7 mins
<<

Taylor-MadeAK

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:16 pm

Did you make a syrup with the priming sugar?
Primary: Nothing. Gainfully employed now, but still broke.
Secondary:
Bottled: Saké 2010
Make some sake.
<<

djmd

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:20 pm

hey, welcome to the forum!

Looks like you've covered all the bases... but the only thing left to do is be a little more patient. Yeah, typically, I would think that 5 weeks should at 68º should do it... but if they seem like they are starting to carbonate, just give it a couple more weeks. See if you can get them somewhere that's a little over 70.

The last beer I ever bottled was being a real pain - it sat at 65 for about 4 weeks and I barely had anything, but after 1 week at 70 they were practically finished. Some beers are just finicky I think.

Looks like a good beer, BTW...
<<

Ollie's Ales

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Taylor-MadeAK wrote:Did you make a syrup with the priming sugar?

Yes. I had mixed the dex with one pint of water (boiled for 10 minutes and cooled to a point that wouldn't kill the yeast) before racking the beer from the secondary to the priming bucket.
<<

Taylor-MadeAK

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:29 pm

If you let it cool down to room temperature, then racking into the syrup probably wouldn't have mixed it sufficiently (because of increased viscosity). Did you stir it in?

If you did, then I would follow djmd's advice and move the beer someplace a little bit warmer for a week.
Primary: Nothing. Gainfully employed now, but still broke.
Secondary:
Bottled: Saké 2010
Make some sake.
<<

Badger91

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 04, 2007 8:42 pm

You can also try gently tipping each bottle upside down to put the yeast back in suspension. That's worked for me in the past.
<<

Barleyhogg

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Taylor-MadeAK wrote:If you let it cool down to room temperature, then racking into the syrup probably wouldn't have mixed it sufficiently (because of increased viscosity). Did you stir it in?

If you did, then I would follow djmd's advice and move the beer someplace a little bit warmer for a week.

Yeah, don't bother cooling the sugar liquid. When you add 5 gal of wort to the top of 3 cups of hot liquid, not much happens to the majority of the yeast.
Suck it, Schuman!
www.thebrewingnetwork.com
<<

Corrado

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 05, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: Why won't my beer carbonate?

Ollie's Ales wrote:I have an issue with my latest batch – It just won't carbonate.

The wort was well mixed with the 3/4 c. dextrose at racking time, and the beers that I have popped so far tasted just fine (in terms of not being infected) and were barely starting to carbonate. The 5 gal. batch sat in the primary for a week, and then the secondary for two weeks. This Sunday will mark its 5th week in the bottles (which are stored at about 68º with no light or disturbances). Here is the recipe I used:

8 lbs. light LME
2 lbs. light DME (this includes the 200g in the starter)
1 lb. Carapils
1 lb. Munich 10L
1 lb. Crystal 40L

1 oz Chinook 60 mins
1 oz Nugget 45 mins
1 oz Amarillo 20 mins
1 oz Amarillo 10 mins
1 oz Amarillo 7 mins
1 oz Centennial 7 mins

In my very limited experience, high-gravity beers tend to take longer to carbonate. I made an Imperial Stout that barely had any fizz 4 weeks into the carbonation process. After about 2 mos it was better and now (5 mos later) it's fine. As long as there's SOME carbonation there, I'd say you're probably going to be okay.

Just be patient (but all the suggestions listed above will help the process, too).
<<

JimInNJ

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 05, 2007 7:12 pm

Which yeast did you use?

I am drinking a Vienna-ish Ale right now that took over two months to carb. I blame it on the PacMan yeast being so very floculent. It is great now.

Just give it a few more weeks.

- Jim
<<

biggenius29

Master Brewer

Post Sun May 06, 2007 6:30 am

I made a batch about a year ago that I could not get to carbonate. If I remember right I had very little ag 5 and 6 weeks. So about once a day I would take the case and turn it upside down to get the yeast in suspention. After doing that for a week or so I kind of forgot about it. Three weeks after rotateing the bottles I still had very little carbonation. So I said skrew it, thought it would be good beer to cook with. About a month ago I needed bottles so I went to dump that batch and what do you know they were carbed fully.

Give it more time.
Ross

My pastor says "God Bless America."
<<

mattmelcher

Master Brewer

Post Sun May 06, 2007 8:22 am

biggenius29 wrote:I made a batch about a year ago that I could not get to carbonate. If I remember right I had very little ag 5 and 6 weeks. So about once a day I would take the case and turn it upside down to get the yeast in suspention. After doing that for a week or so I kind of forgot about it. Three weeks after rotateing the bottles I still had very little carbonation. So I said skrew it, thought it would be good beer to cook with. About a month ago I needed bottles so I went to dump that batch and what do you know they were carbed fully.

Give it more time.

I'm in the same boat...I brewed up a hoppy ale last year and I couldn't get it to carbonate at all. I tipped bottles, put it in a warmer area and nothing happened. I needed some bottles and opened one up and damned if it wasnt carbonated. The flavor was good but not great. The good thing is I think I'll be able to drink the rest of it before I need the bottles. I hate to dump beer.

I would suggest you put the beer in a warmer area for about a week then put it back to where it was and let it be for a while. In the meantime. Brew something else...you'll need something else to drink until these are ready...
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...

Return to Northern Brewer General