– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

I Brewed Malta Goya.

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Longboat

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:23 am

I Brewed Malta Goya.

Just to see what turns out, I poured 7 bottles of Malta Goya onto a portion of the yeast cake left-over from a NB ESB that I had just racked to secondary. Poured it in, shook it up, and let it sit. Fermentation took off within a few hours, and settled down after about 24 hours. That was about 2 months ago. I left it in primary the entire time. No racking a gallon of this swill! Bottled 3 weeks ago. I popped one open yesterday, and I drank it.

I was surprised that it actually was drinkable! Not great. Well, barely good. I would compare it to one of those macroswill dark beers. There seemed to be a bit of residual sweetness to it, like there are unfermentables left over. Not nearly enough hops, either.

Would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. Will I drink what I have? Absolutely! I just won't share it. The beer that I share is a reflection of me in a way, and I don't want anyone thinking that this is 'my brand' of beer.

If I rated this stuff on an ABA scoresheet, it would fare poorly. But I just wanted to share my Strange-Brew story.

I often find myself thinking: "I wonder how that would brew-up?" I am sure that it has all been done, but no harm, no foul.
What Would Jesus Brew?
<<

BJ1833

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:31 am

Cool. It's always fun experimenting. Is MG already hopped? I've never seen the stuff around here, so I have no idea.
<<

Longboat

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:37 am

Malta Goya lists hops as one of the ingredients. No idea what kind or what quantity, though. If you have never seen it, it is basically carbonated wort. I don't know how popular it is in Mexico, where it comes from. Alot of brewers use it for starters, which is why I had a few bottles handy. Fresh out of the bottle, I can't stand the taste, but I am not a Mexican, so what does my opinion on their tastes matter?
What Would Jesus Brew?
<<

OChaos

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:46 am

Nice, I have heard alot about malta goya but cant find it in any West Michigan stores.. Would be nice to have a few on hand for starters.
<<

Lurgid

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:36 pm

OChaos wrote:Nice, I have heard alot about malta goya but cant find it in any West Michigan stores.. Would be nice to have a few on hand for starters.

Meijer's has Malta India in the ethnic aisle. Same thing, different brand.
<<

Bergerboy

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Wow, I had seen this in stores but thought it was just another of the Mexican drinks. We have a high Hispanic population around here, and there are some great foods and drinks at our stores because of it!

Heck, 80% of my bottles are from cheap Mexican soda! 8)
<<

djmd

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:50 pm

ha, that's cool. That's funny how you described it as a dark macroswill, cause when I got some to do a starter once and I got a whiff of it, the first thing that came to mind was "amber bock, but worse." It is probably extract scraped off the floor and a couple of hop pellets pulled out of the grout.

Did make a hell of a starter for me though. It was for a big belgian so it worked out well.
<<

Bergerboy

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:18 pm

I like Amberbock. :shock:
<<

podman

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:24 pm

I like Amberbock.

No you don't.....you think you do... but you don't. :mrgreen:
<<

Bergerboy

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:32 pm

podman wrote:
I like Amberbock.

No you don't.....you think you do... but you don't. :mrgreen:

I'm desperate.

The only good "pubs" around is one that has Guinness, Bass, Harp, Amberbock, etc all on draft. My current ex works there and all of her friends do as well, so that's not too much of an option anymore.

There was a decent small pizza shop near my work where on lunch I'd stop by, have a slice and an Amberbock, and relax while watching sports on TV. They took out Amberbock a week or two ago, and now they only have Bud Lite, Miller Lite, Michelob Ultra, and Michelob Ultra Amber. Both Michelob's are considered "premium beers" and cost a buck and a half more a pour...... :evil: I mean, come on! So they are now boycotted.

Blah, I'm just bitter. Ignore the rant.
<<

Backglass

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:44 pm

Bergerboy wrote:Michelob Ultra Amber.

I was at a bar for happy hour with co-workers the other day and the local BMC distributer was in-house pushing the "ultra" line and buying rounds. Never being one to turn down a free beer, I opted for the "Ultra Amber". We were all cracking up at the oxymoronicness of it all....a "Dark Light Beer". :roll:

Pretty awful to tell you the truth and I can drink about anything. It tasted like Michelob with carmel coloring added.
Last edited by Backglass on Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Bergerboy

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:50 pm

Yeah, I tried Michelob and the Ultra Amber back to back at my 21st bday cause that's what the g/f wanted. The Ultra Amber had an amber-malty taste that I could pull out of it, but it still sucked badly. It was about the worst beer I think I had had at that point.
<<

gabbagabbahey

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:44 pm

So is there any prep involved in using malta as a starter? I'm thinking you might need to de-carbonate it or something, but still seems easier than making a starter.
<<

brokenbowlbrewer

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:21 pm

I too am curious about using this stuff as a starter. Seems like the easiest starter method I have seen yet...
Åke Larson

-Just another one of those wacky guys in the woods who brews his own
<<

bushwack

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:05 pm

I have use it inplace of the water in my Home Made Baked Beans. Sure I cheat a little by using the Crock~Pot, but who runs their oven for 8 to 12 hours these days.

Oh, and the beans come out really nice and no one can pick out just what that secret flavor is.

Well that is until someone in this forum has my beans.

Return to Northern Brewer General