Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

how long after bottling til you drink your beer

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

thentro

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:20 am

for "normal" beer I like to try them each week, but really I know that it wont be right until at least 3 weeks have gone by.
For heavier stuff that I consider more valuable I usually let them go a month before I try them so I dont waste a drop!
<<

BeerIsGoodForYou

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:43 pm

Boatbuildingbrewer wrote:I'm in the same boat just have no control, I'll wait a week and try one If there flat wait another. I'm on my 8 or 9th batch and none have made it to three weeks, especially with the crew I know. I've noticed they get better as I get to the last ones.

Perhaps you need to move up to 10gallon batches! :wink:
<<

WALDO

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:19 pm

I just did it again. Opened an English Bitter after only 3 days in the bottle. :(

It was tasty but not carbonated. I think I have a problem!!
The best thing of all is that we can always brew more!! -- WALDO - March 31st, 2005.
<<

BrewBoyTrev

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:49 pm

I finally have enough of a supply built up, and that allows me the luxury of patience. I now will not open one until at least 4 weeks in the bottle. That's for my "small" beers...in my brewery that's defined as anything with an OG of less than 1.060.

For my "regular" brews, which are 1.060-1.078, I always wait a minimum of 8 weeks after bottling.

For the real fun ones, my barleywines, and my meads, they all spend at least 6 months in secondary (and/or tertiary) carboys, and then another 5 months in the bottle. For these brews, I try not to open anything until the anniversary date of the brew date. (I'm usually--but not always--successful with these monsters!)
On tap: Mild Ale, American Brown Ale
Primary: APA, IPA
Secondary: Wildflower Mead
Longterm Carboys: 12 gal Cocoa mead, 5 gal each of Cranberry Blossom Mead and Blackberry Mel, 3 gal Mulled Metheglin
<<

Bergerboy

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:57 pm

I generally begin drinking a batch at 6 days. I have no self control.

The only way I have ever been able to wait to the proper time is if I have more than one batch going at a time and have a "keep-me-occupied" batch to tide me over till my better batch gets done.

It sucks not having enough money to satisfy your hobbies....
<<

KopyKat

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:24 pm

I generally wait the full three weeks. I tried an Irish Red I brewed after 12 days and it was - well, I guess a disappointment would be the correct term. I cracked another after the three weeks was up and :shock: It was one of the best I have brewed. Lesson learned.

One suprise I had was tasting a Taddy Porter clone after three weeks in a side by side with a store bought just to see how it was coming along. I expected it needed a couple of months to get good. To my suprise, it tasted just like the bottle of Samuel Smith's he was so kind to bottle and put on the store shelf for me. I actually planned on having this for next fall or winter. Wonder what it will be like in a couple of more months or six.
Jerry Pritchett
KopyKat Brewery

www.austinzealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition
Homebrew Competition
<<

Mcbrew

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:50 pm

For bottle conditioned beer you should wait three weeks minimum, four weeks is better, and at six weeks have at it (for most beer). This is how long it takes, get used to it or do what I did and start kegging. I can sample good, pefectly carbonated beer in four days from using C02. I got tired of inconsistant carbonation between bottles when I used sugar/wort, etc. for bottle conditioning. Using a counter pressure bottle filler I can have botttled beer (if I want) and have consistant carbonation.
<--------- Me, Soaring at 10,500 ft. AGL over Lake McGreggor

I love da Wit

Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
<<

mikey's brews

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:58 am

i try to wait two weeks before i start drinking them, though i almost always crack one open after 6-7 days to see how its comming along, alot of the time they're fully carbonated (except my last pilsner) by that time, does aging it in the bottle longer affect the flavor, not just the carbonation? if so why is keggin so popular, seems you wouldnt get that better flavor everyone talks about from waiting a few months
<<

drunko

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:04 am

I wait 1 day before starting in on them. :)
<<

Duder

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:17 am

I usually like to let them sit in the bottle 5~6 weeks before I start tasting them. Then, another week in the refridg. in the basement at a cold temp. I have only had a carbonation problem with one batch, a Hobgoblin recipe I made. Also, I've started saving those little 7 oz. Coke bottles and tasting those first. I usually fill one 7 oz per batch for sampling. Plus, they are really handy for bottling eavry last drop of beer. Reminds me of those little Olympias my Dad and Grandpa would drink.
<<

Pawtucket Patriot

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:22 am

I've learned to wait at least two weeks before sampling my bottled beer. There have been too many moments of disappointment after opening them at 1 week and having virtually no carbonation. It's amazing what another week will do. I'm going to try and wait three weeks to really start digging into my bottles from now on. I really wish I just had a keg setup - it seems so much easier and I'd get to enjoy the fruits of my labor much sooner!
<<

sirbrewzalot

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:50 am

I usually end up with one half filled bottle that I go ahead and taste at a week, then wait another week for the second. Depending on taste I then start drinking or wait another week.
<<

Brewby, my beer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:39 pm

So far I've managed to always wait two full weeks and then pop the first bottle.

After that every bottle gets better!

I've only brewed three batches so far. Now that the second is ready to drink I have about 12 bottles left from the first batch that I will let sit for a while. I have one more in secondary now.
<<

nicneufeld

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:49 pm

motornutz wrote:i wait 3 weeks too, my batch of cider was flat for at least a month

Cider definately seems to take time bottle conditioning...but a little age only improves it I think. Mine was also flat for at least a month.

I tend to wait at least 2 weeks, sometimes a lot longer, as I have more beer than I can drink to be honest, hehehe. Which is a nice thing. But when I started (before developing a cellared inventory) I'd drink them ASAP.
"For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie
<<

yellowdog

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:45 pm

as I have more beer than I can drink to be honest, hehehe.

Well I can take some off your hands. I will even pay shipping!

Cheers
PreviousNext

Return to Northern Brewer General