Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Bananna ???? Raspberry Hefe

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

vlgsmithy

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:17 am

Bananna ???? Raspberry Hefe

Last Sunday I brewed the NB Hefe with the exception that I added 10 oz of frozen raspberries during the boil as I wanted to have a hazy beer. When I pulled a sample to test the gravity it smelled and tasted like banannas. I racked to the secondary yesterday and made sure I pulled a bit of yeast with it (thought I had read that it needs time for the yeast to eat the bannana flavor, but after searching here and other places I can't find what I originally read) I placed the secondary in the coolest part of the house (now about 65 F) and plan on leaving it there for a couple of weeks.

My question is have I totally screwed this brew?
<<

andydull

Master Brewer

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:09 am

Your beer sounds like everything went well. Hefe yeast are characterized by the banana esters/phenols. The closer you ferment to 60 degrees, the more banana flavor is supposed to come through.

I don't brew with fruit much, but 10 oz of fruit seems like it may be too little to have a significant impact on the beer. I see recipes that call for ~5 lb or more in a 5 gallon recipe. The raspberry will probably be subtle but probably combine well with the banana phenols.

Andy
<<

xcjetta

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:16 am

Which yeast? Banana is characteristic of a hefe...
<<

vlgsmithy

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:19 am

Which yeast? Banana is characteristic of a hefe...

Wyeast German Wheat Yeast 3333
<<

bucko

Master Brewer

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:57 am

Sounds normal for this beer. And IIRC, there are other wheat yeasts that produce more banana/esthers than 3333.

Dumb question here, but do you like hefeweizens?

Bavarian Hefe Weizen Extract Kit

O.G: 1049 / Ready: 5 weeks

Extremely popular in its homeland of southern Germany, Weizenbier (wheat beer) is now being enjoyed all over the world. Medium-bodied, refreshing, and tolerant of high fermentation temperatures, weizen is a fantastic summer brew. Northern Brewer's Hefe-Weizen is 100% traditional—cloudy, tart, a bit sour, with a phenolic and banana-clove character imparted by the yeast.
<<

vlgsmithy

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:26 am

Yes I thought I liked the Hefes. The commercial ones I have had do not, or at least I do not taste the banannas. The one I brewed is extremely strong in the bananna flavor and aroma.

Sometimes I wonder about myself. Here I did not read about the bananna/clove (or at least my mind blocked it out) on the NB description. Then today I was already to brew the St. Paul Porter then just as I was getting everything ready......... remembered I had forgotten to take out the Wyeast smack pack and give it a wack last night .... :oops: :oops:
<<

pinnah

Master Brewer

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:44 am

vlgsmithy wrote:remembered I had forgotten to take out the Wyeast smack pack and give it a wack last night .... :oops: :oops:

Most of us have done that,

ok I have.

I would carry on, smack it now, make sure it warms up, and it should puff a little by the time you are done, then just pitch er in. I did this with a 1.06 dunkelweitzen (3333) a while back and no worries.

I like wheats because they are fast, but that smell is a little nasty at first. I have aged them a little more than what is common for the style, they mellow a bit.
<<

bucko

Master Brewer

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Cooler fermentation temps. tend to push hefes toward the clove side of things whereas warmer fermentation pushes the hefe toward more banana/esther. If you don't care for either, you might consider trying the same beer with maybe an American wheat yeast.
<<

nicneufeld

Master Brewer

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:30 pm

vlgsmithy wrote:Yes I thought I liked the Hefes. The commercial ones I have had do not, or at least I do not taste the banannas. The one I brewed is extremely strong in the bananna flavor and aroma.

What commercial ones? I have found a huge difference in German hefeweizen and American "hefeweizen". Many times, in the latter case, a beer marketed as the latter will actually be an American Wheat in flavour profile...I don't think there are that many American breweries brewing authentic weizens with German strains of yeast.

And, especially with a Belgian strain (T58) I've found some of my beers to throw off a huge amount of banana esters. It fades a little, but honestly, I like it. I have a dark strong dubbel that has this semi-sweet banana bread thing going, its awesome. But I can see how that would be totally out of place in a raspberry wheat. Maybe WY1010, or US56 next time?
"For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

Return to Northern Brewer General