Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

How long can you keep wort before pitching your yeast?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Travellin' Slim

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:55 pm

How long can you keep wort before pitching your yeast?

In a perfect world, I'd have all the time I want to devote to brewing. Suffice to say, the world ain't perfect, so I'm always looking for ways to add flexibility to the brewing process. That said, I'm wondering how long after your wort has cooled can you wait before pitching your yeast?

Example, if it 9pm I decide I want to do an extract boil, could I prepare the wort, and leave it to sit and cool overnight before pitching the next morning? My guess is yes, but thought I'd check to see if I'm missing something in this thought.

Thanks,

Slim
<<

fulkrum78

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Depends how sanitary you are. Th big thing about pitching sonner as opposed ot later is that you give your yeast a chance to achieve dominance as the primary organism at work within your beer. The longer you wait, the more chance of some other beasty taking up residence and contributing its funk before the yeast gets going.
RS
R&D Brewing @RandDBrewing
<<

BrewManMatt

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:05 pm

Yup. Thats how wort was cooled back in the day. Well, they had cool-ships, buy you'll be fine. Just don't but it in the fermenter hot, or you could break the carboy
<<

Eric Boring

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:00 am

I used to do this regularly before I found the patience to to fill the sink a few times to cool my extract wort. And It has always worked out fine.
<<

brentg

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 am

or you could build a simple cheap immersion chiller.
<<

Travellin' Slim

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:35 am

brentg wrote:or you could build a simple cheap immersion chiller.

Doesn't an immersion chiller require that I be able to hook a hose or some sort of coupling to my faqucet? THat's what I've gathered, and I brew in my kitchen-- my only option --where I don't have they type of faucet that can accept an attachment.
<<

bstein

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:00 am

Travellin' Slim wrote:
brentg wrote:or you could build a simple cheap immersion chiller.

Doesn't an immersion chiller require that I be able to hook a hose or some sort of coupling to my faqucet? THat's what I've gathered, and I brew in my kitchen-- my only option --where I don't have they type of faucet that can accept an attachment.

Can you take a pic of your sink? I would like to see why you can't hook it up.
Work is the curse of the drinking class....Oscar Wilde
<<

damntheman

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:56 am

You should be able to pick up a faucet to hose adapter at most any hardware store, or you could order a chiller from NB and the faucet adapter that they offer for $3.95. I have reciently moved to full wort boils and I have used the immersion chiller from NB inside with no problems.

--DamnTheMan
<<

noofus

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:25 am

Usually with even standard kitchen faucets the aerator is removable. You should be able to unscrew the aerator and screw in an adaptor
<<

brentg

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:24 pm

mine never had one so i just shoved the hose up into there...worked alright as long as i didnt crank the pressure..
<<

bergerandfries

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:22 pm

I kept a high gravity ale in the fermentor with no yeast for 3 days (had yeast viability problems and had to work that out before I could pitch). No problems, no off flavors, but keep in mind I had an airlock on it....
<<

jjwright

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:24 pm

As I have said before; I just leave the lid on my kettle for the last minute of the boil, and leave it there for 24 hours, then rack to primary.

Return to Northern Brewer General