Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

non-stick brew pots?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

uintahiker

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:05 pm

non-stick brew pots?

i found some 7 gallon brew pots that are aluminum with a non stick coating and i dont know if these are ok to use. i read a thread a long time ago about aluminum pots but i cant find it. i seem to remember that using aluminum is a bad idea but with the non stick coating the beer wont really be in contact with the aluminum. opinions? thanx.
<<

edm17

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:31 pm

I know from experience that some of those non-stick coatings wear out over time, potentially exposing the aluminum. This is especially true if the pot is relatively cheap.
<<

lufah

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:41 pm

<<

spoogenet

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:45 pm

I'm not sure what the nonstick coating is, however research has been suggesting lately that cooking with teflon coatings at high temperatures releases carcinogens. You can decide for yourself whether you believe it or not, but personally I don't cook with nonstick coatings at high temperatures.

I also haven't had much trouble with cleaning the stainless kettles, so I have no plan of using nonstick.

b
<<

BrewerGeorge

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:10 pm

I think you'll be fine. I'd personally have no problem using a non-stick pot. As long as you're careful not to scratch the finish, it won't wear out, either.
<<

bstein

Master Brewer

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:33 pm

spoogenet wrote:I'm not sure what the nonstick coating is, however research has been suggesting lately that cooking with teflon coatings at high temperatures releases carcinogens. You can decide for yourself whether you believe it or not, but personally I don't cook with nonstick coatings at high temperatures.

I also haven't had much trouble with cleaning the stainless kettles, so I have no plan of using nonstick.

b

When boiling wort you are not cooking at high temperatures. The boiling liquid is constantly cooling every inch of the pot to @212 degrees. Now if you were to be frying your temps could exceed 500 degrees if you turn your burner on high and walk away. This temp would yes degrade your coating.
Work is the curse of the drinking class....Oscar Wilde
<<

Necroman

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:17 pm

I still brew in an aluminum turkey fryer kettle (for lack of funds to purchase something stainless). I've never tasted any metalic flavors, or any other off-flavors that I would attribute to the kettle.

A stainless kettle will still be my next purchase, but you can in fact brew in aluminum with a minimum of effects.

edit:
It seems this as well as a lot of other great information was already discussed in the above-mentioned thread.
--
Dan
<<

grant

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:57 pm

bstein wrote:
spoogenet wrote:I'm not sure what the nonstick coating is, however research has been suggesting lately that cooking with teflon coatings at high temperatures releases carcinogens. You can decide for yourself whether you believe it or not, but personally I don't cook with nonstick coatings at high temperatures.

b

When boiling wort you are not cooking at high temperatures. The boiling liquid is constantly cooling every inch of the pot to @212 degrees. Now if you were to be frying your temps could exceed 500 degrees if you turn your burner on high and walk away. This temp would yes degrade your coating.

I was going to answer this, but then saw that bstein had answered so well already. He's exactly right. This is a non-issue. As long as you are not deep-frying things in your teflon cookware, the fluorine released is insignificant compared to what we ingest from our drinking water, toothpaste, and especially, our food.

Maybe the commies want us to boil in teflon to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.
:lol:
<<

uintahiker

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:44 pm

will i have to oxidize the pot even though it's coated??
<<

lufah

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:27 pm

uintahiker wrote:will i have to oxidize the pot even though it's coated??

No. I don't think so. The oxidation layer is to keep the wort from the metal. You already have a layer keeping the wort from the metal.

Travis
<<

johnplctech

Master Brewer

Post Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:05 am

grant wrote: Maybe the commies want us to boil in teflon to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.

I shoot them while you feed me the ammo.
Tun Scraper
Duck Butt Brewing
My Home Pages
<<

GOOMBA!

Master Brewer

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:07 am

johnplctech wrote:
grant wrote: Maybe the commies want us to boil in teflon to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.

I shoot them while you feed me the ammo.

Do you know grant why I only brew with rain water or distilled water?
"It is Anchor MAN, not Anchor LADY, and that is a scientific fact!" - Champ Kind

Return to Northern Brewer General