– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Is anyone using a hot plate to boil???

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

totalbuzzkill

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Is anyone using a hot plate to boil???

Hello brew buddies.

Is anyone using a hot plate for their boils? If so, what is the most efficient one to use? I'm doing 5 gallon batches. I obviously don't want to wait hours upon hours to get up to temp.

As I mentioned in another post, I do HVAC controls for a living and just scored a few PID controllers. I have aspirations of building an automated brew setup and wanted to control the hot leg on an electric hot plate through a relay based upon water temp. I want a 2 burner setup. 1 for sparge water and 1 for the wort.

Cheers!
:cheers:
<<

Nighthawk

Master Brewer

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Is anyone using a hot plate to boil???

For a partial boil, it might work. For boiling 6+ gallons, I doubt a commercially available home hot plate will have enough capacity to bring it to boil. I should have a duel burner 1500w unit in the rafters. If I find the time I may be able to do an experiment for you.

A PID system should not matter on a boil pot. Boiling is boiling. Although there is a "rolling boil" and there is "jump out of the pot" boil. It should still be 212* (adj for your elevation).
<<

alphastanley

Master Brewer

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 pm

I started brewing with a hot plate eons ago. We did partial boils for the exact reason Nighthawk indicates below - not enough power to get a boil. I think our first brew took 4+ hours from tap water to extract to a full hour boil.

Cheers.
<<

totalbuzzkill

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:57 am

Nighthawk wrote:For a partial boil, it might work. For boiling 6+ gallons, I doubt a commercially available home hot plate will have enough capacity to bring it to boil. I should have a duel burner 1500w unit in the rafters. If I find the time I may be able to do an experiment for you.

A PID system should not matter on a boil pot. Boiling is boiling. Although there is a "rolling boil" and there is "jump out of the pot" boil. It should still be 212* (adj for your elevation).

That's what I was thinking. I only wanted to automate it "because I can" lol. I was thinking it was a possibility it wouldn't be very efficient...I just wanted to make sure before I tried it.
<<

sonex

Master Brewer

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 am

I built a electric system you will want to get a pot, 15 gal is a nice flexible size for 5-10 gal batches. Cut a hole and fit a hot water tank element i used a 4500 watt element. Then build a control box with a PID (I used a auber PID). This is the only easy way to bring 7 gal or more to a boil. The 4500 watt element does my 10 gal batches (13 gal in boil) easily. There are many electric systems at homebrewtalk that will take you step by step.

Return to Northern Brewer General