Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

What metal are Anheuser-Busch 15.5 gallon kegs made from?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

jonniemachine

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:44 am

What metal are Anheuser-Busch 15.5 gallon kegs made from?

My step-sister in law recently gave me a 15.5 gallon Anheuser-Busch keg to use as a brew kettle. I was under the impression that all kegs were made from stainless steel, but several people suggested to me that some are made from aluminum. I did a magnet test, and found it only sticks to some parts of the keg (about half way down the side there is a wide band it sticks to, and near the bung as well). Out of curiosity, I also applied a magnet to my stainless steel appliances, and a stainless steel work table. The magnet didn't stick at all! I also tried some stainless silverware, which the magnet did stick to. I would greatly apreciate any information on what kind of metal the keg might me made from, as well as any information on what kinds of metals might be a poor choice for a brew kettle. Thanx :!:
<<

DaveG

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:04 am

Magnets don't stick to all types of stainless, as you've seen.
Since the magnet stuck to part of the keg, I'm pretty sure it's stainless steel. I'm not sure how common aluminum sankey kegs are.
Stainless or aluminum would make fine brewpots. So would copper if you have the bucks. Good luck on your project.
DaveG
<<

Blktre

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:13 am

Pick an empty one up. If its heavy, its SS.
".....because without beer, things do not seem to go as well...." -Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monastery, Munjor Kansas 1902

Pay Heed all who Enter: Beware of the Phog
<<

floyd

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:12 am

It is stainless.
<<

DR. Brewgood

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:16 am

Look On The Keg

If you clean up the outside a little bit you will see the info on the keg stamped in the metal. It will say Stainless Steel. If it's a Sankey Keg I think the fitting on top is called something other than a bung. If it has a bung in the side it may be a Hoff-Stevens Keg and will say stainless also unless it is dated pre-1970 or so. They made them out of aluminum back then.
<<

jonniemachine

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I looked on the outside of the keg, but didn't see anything about what kind of metal it is. There were lots of numbers, warnings that it would rupture above 60 psi, it's capacity, etc. Just out of curiosity, what makes a keg a Sankey keg?
I guess with the assumption that my keg's stainless, and with DaveG's advice that aluminum would make an acceptable brewpot, I'll go ahead and convert it.
<<

DaveG

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:27 pm

Sankey kegs have the handles cut into the top of the keg, and the port where the tap connects has a ball in the middle. They also have straight sides.
Hoff-Stevens kegs are barrell shaped, have a bung on the middle of keg on the side, and the port where the tap connects is two small holes, one just a bit smaller than the other.
The A/B kegs I've seen all have been Sankey.
DaveG
<<

therpmguy

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:48 pm

it should be 304 stainless
<<

hoppybrewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:24 pm

start cutting and converting,its stainless. hoppy brewing :lol:
BEER!! Good for what ales you.

Return to Northern Brewer General