Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Phil's Phalse Bottom

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

rjont

Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:41 am

Phil's Phalse Bottom

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the Phil's Phalse Bottom. I'm looking to expand my grain capabilities and trying to decide what piece of equipment to buy.
<<

Backyard Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:11 am

Phil's Phalse Bottom

I haven't used one myself, but I've heard complaints that they phloat. Many places sell stainless screens for not too much more.

-Derrin
<<

rthewitt3

Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:22 am

Phil's Phalse Bottom

I used a Phil's Phalse Bottom (in a Phil's Lauter Tun rig) for about 35 batches. It works fine as long as

1. You mash in a different tun and transfer the mash to the lauter tun
OR
2. You find a way to keep the phalse bottom on the bottom of your mash/lauter tun (like some copper tubing from the false bottom to the tun outlet instead of vinyl tubing).

I eventually bought a stainless false bottom because I switched to a different mashing/lauter rig.
<<

cherokee brewer

Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:33 am

Phil's Phalse Bottom

Its all I have ever used and for me it works great. I experienced the float syndrome but solved it by putting a small plate on top of the grain bed to diffuse the mash water as I poured it in..I think diffusing the water is the key whatever you use...after that it doesnt float.
<<

jwaller

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:52 pm

Phil's Phalse Bottom

I use a Phils Phalse Bottom. It works fine, but as many have said it does Phloat. If I were buying one today I would go stainless.
<<

Running Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:08 pm

Phil's Phalse Bottom

I used to use the phils phalse bottom. I was having a little floation problem. I have now switched to a SS false bottom and love the results. The SS false bottom was only $15 more the phil's. I should have done this first. Good Brewing!
<<

OldKitchenRugBrewery

Post Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:18 pm

Phil's Phalse Bottom

I've been using a Phil's Phalse Bottom for four years - about 75 batches - and I've never had problems with it phloating. It fits perfectly in the bottom of my 10-gal Gott, and a stiff plastic tube runs out to the spigot and seems to keep it down.

I found directions for a "Phloater Snake" on the web somewhere and made one, and used it once or twice before I realized that I had no phloating problem. If you want to make one:

1) Take some 3/4" brewing hose (food grade), long enough to circle the circumference of your mash tun, and fill it with bb's.

2) Jam some corks in each end - deeper than the edge of the tubing.

3) Seal the corks in with food-grade silicone.

- Al
<<

jhenjum

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:14 pm

Phil's Phalse Bottom

For my 10 gal Gott, I replaced the plastic elbow with a brass one with a compression fitting. i then used a +/- 3" piece of 3/8 flexible copper to attach to a Zymie Cooler Kitz bulkhead with another compression fitting. Very much like this...
http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=20020505182720397

Second picture down. Hope this helps.

Return to Northern Brewer General