Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

1 Step vs Star San

<<

paultuttle

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:17 am

1 Step vs Star San

I've been brewing now for 4 years, and the only sanitizer I've ever used is 1 Step. This is primarily due to my local HBS here carried only that. Until recently. Now, he's started carrying Star San, and I asked him if I should start using that, and he told me I should stay with the 1 Step, since it also cleans. Every You Tube video I've watched, the brewer uses Star San. Am I missing something? I've neer had an issue with any of my beers.

Paul
<<

muddywater_grant

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 am

Re: 1 Step vs Star San

I use pbw for cleaning and star san for a sanitizer. Couldn't be more happy with the two problems.
P: Red Rye 1, Red Rye 2, Wee Heavy, Wee Heavy Partigyle Porter, Kolsch, German Pils, Premium Bitter 1, Premium Bitter 2, Barley wine

On Tap: Mosaic Imperial Red, Zythos Brown, Session IPA 2, Session IPA 1

On deck: American Wheat?
<<

Vulkin'

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:25 am

Never used 1step but can you leave it inside the fermentor and just drop your wort in with the foam (the much heard "don't fear the foam"). To me that is the great thing abput Starsan. You can keep things sanitized and saoked with the stuff right up to the second you use it. Also I have relativly hard water and still this stuff lasts forever. I just pH test every time I go to use. It has yet to rise above the 2 range. Eventually my Starsan buckets get this fine sediment in the bottom and I rinse and dump that everytime I use it as well and can roll on with the rest of it. That one fact is a huge cost savings.

Barry
On Tap at Neck Deep Brewing - 8 Taps Rotating
<<

Vulkin'

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 am

BTW I make my own PBW out of Oxiclean and TSP. Works like a charm and very cheap.
<<

paultuttle

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am

Vulkin' wrote:BTW I make my own PBW out of Oxiclean and TSP. Works like a charm and very cheap.

Barry, what is TSP?
<<

Nighthawk

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:32 am

TSP- trisodium phosphate.

You will find it in the paint section of the hardware stores. Usually the container says "free" as they removed the phosphate to protect the environment.

I've seen mixes listed as 2 parts TSP/1 part Oxy, 1:1 and 1:2. IRRC the 2:1 was the 1st one noted on the net.

As far as 1 Step. Ask your HBS if they can get something from LD Carlson with and EPA or FDA stamp on it saying the product is a certified sanitizer. Possibly at one time the paid to have it tested and certified. But there is nothing out there now. In the mean time they may have changed the formula.
<<

Vulkin'

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 am

I use 75% Oxi 25% TSP. Works very well, just like PBW. Don't sweat the environment on this one. the problem was back in the day every household was washing clothes and dishes with the stuff. Just a few brewers is not going to cause the massive algea blooms in riverways that where what this stuff caused when it was used by everybody in the country.

BTW I don't down the drain either Starsan or "PBW". I am on septic and am not sure what effect it might have.
<<

paultuttle

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:52 am

Nighthawk, I'm looking at my pail of 1 Step right now. It has stamps that say "Environmentally Sound", and "Green Product". To tell you the truth, all I want is to use the product that will give me the best bottom line: Awesome Beer!

Paul
<<

sclinchy

Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:09 am

I used 1 Step successfully for a couple of years, but my understanding is that it's a cleaner, not a sanitizer. I've switched to Star San. It is a sanitizer and as has been pointed out here, you can keep it for a long time, so it's probably cheaper in the long run as well.
In bottle:
Evil Twin
Black Rye IPA

In Primary:
Nothing

In Secondary:
Nothing
<<

Cheshire_Cat

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:13 am

If 1 step cleans and sanitizes don't you have to rinse at some point (to get the gunk out)? If so the second tap water hits your carboy I would think you need to re-sanitize. Never used it so I don't know. I use plain oxy clean, never needed anything more than filling up the carboy with warm water and let it sit for a couple hours. I sanitize with star san.
<<

grainbelt

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:42 am

one step is not a sanitizer
<<

paultuttle

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:19 am

grainbelt wrote:one step is not a sanitizer

Then I guess I am very fortunate not to have had any of my 60+ batches go bad over the last 4 years. If it's not a sanitizer, then what is it?
<<

Monster Mash

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 am

One Step is a sanitizer but I have to agree with another poster that if you use it to clean it has to be rinsed but if you put One Step back in as the sanitizer and don't rinse you should be fine.

I prefer PBW and Star San because both ave a specific purpose.
<<

ruinah69

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am

grainbelt wrote:one step is not a sanitizer

yeah not sure who told you it was. It's just a cleaner. 1 Step and then use Star San after.
Fermenting: DC's Rye PA
Next up: Phat Tyre
Tapped: Belgian Ale, Rye Ale, Irish Stout
<<

Nighthawk

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:41 am

From NB's description:

Contains no chlorine, which can leave a film on glassware and corrode stainless steel. One Step is an excellent oxygen based cleanser. Requires two minutes of contact time, no rinsing required! Environmentally friendly and non-toxic. Use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

I remember claims on the Oxy commercials saying that it sanitized the laundry because of the high O2 levels released. Do you trust TV infomercials?

You need a clean surface before you can sanitize. You can't do both at the same time.

I would bet you can go a long time without "sanitizing". Just wash your equipment with soap and water, rinse. Many people add top up water with out boiling it and have no issues.

Me, clean with a cleaner. Sanitize with a sanitizer.
Next

Return to Northern Brewer General