– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

how long does star san stay good?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

acogg84

Brewer

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:39 pm

how long does star san stay good?

I mixed up some star san in distilled water (I heard it will keep longer) any truth to that? If so anyone know how long?
<<

Dadslackey

Brewer

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Re: how long does star san stay good?

I've seen posts on these forums regarding this issue - if I remember correctly, somebody posted an email from Starsan saying that the mix will last longer if distilled or RO water is used. I think also that as long as the Ph is around 3.3, you're good to go - - I usually have about two gallons mixed up and in gallon jugs. I don't know how many weeks they will last, but I keep them for over a month I'm sure.
<<

S.Scoggin

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:50 pm

how long will it stay good if you don't mix it with water?
<<

Thirsty_Monk

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Na Zdravie

On Tap:
Czech Dark Beer
Bohemian Pilsner

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Marzen
<<

Duxx

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Here is a link to an interview with Charlie Tally (founder of 5-star and star san) that will get you the answer straight from the man himself:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archiv ... -19-06.mp3
Please consider voting for me (Steve Cook) for AHA Governing committee. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/steve-cook

"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle." Zac Brown Band.
<<

acogg84

Brewer

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I don't think the Charlie Tally link is any good, I'm not getting anything. I'll do a little more research.
<<

millstone

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:30 pm

acogg84 wrote:I don't think the Charlie Tally link is any good, I'm not getting anything. I'll do a little more research.

link work for me...

tom
<<

grainbelt

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:33 am

as long as the ph is below 3. When I mix mine with distiled it lasts months
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 am

Same for me. I check the PH with a meter, and I've had it last for months at a time, even with tap water. With tap water it is just a bit more cloudy.

I find myself making smaller batches and throwing them away after a session or when I'm not going to be needing it within the week rather than storing it.
Dean

My Brewing Website: www.TheBeerJournals.com
<<

grainbelt

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 am

Dean Palmer wrote:Same for me. I check the PH with a meter, and I've had it last for months at a time, even with tap water. With tap water it is just a bit more cloudy.

I find myself making smaller batches and throwing them away after a session or when I'm not going to be needing it within the week rather than storing it.

My tap water is really hard I can't use it with star san.
I might be wrong but I thought he said on a podcast if it gets cloudy that it should be thrown out?
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:39 am

grainbelt wrote:
Dean Palmer wrote:
I might be wrong but I thought he said on a podcast if it gets cloudy that it should be thrown out?

My water is pretty hard here too, and if cloudy was a measure, I'd have been using bad StarSan for the past 8 years :-) I don't keep it long enough for the hard water to allow it to go bad.

I can't recall what was said about cloudy when I heard the podcast with Charlie, but I don't recall it being a measure for throwing it out from the start, rather being if it was clear and made with distilled or soft water first, and after a length of time with no way to measure PH, it might be a good time to get rid of it. General rule has always been the PH being below 3 means it is good.
Dean

<<

grainbelt

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:46 am

Dean Palmer wrote:
grainbelt wrote:
Dean Palmer wrote:

My water is pretty hard here too, and if cloudy was a measure, I'd have been using bad StarSan for the past 8 years :-) I don't keep it long enough for the hard water to allow it to go bad.

I can't recall what was said about cloudy when I heard the podcast with Charlie, but I don't recall it being a measure for throwing it out from the start, rather being if it was clear and made with distilled or soft water first, and after a length of time with no way to measure PH, it might be a good time to get rid of it. General rule has always been the PH being below 3 means it is good.

have you ever tested your ph after you mix it with tap water? I was using mine for about 2 years with the quantities listed. Mine was always cloudy to, tested once after using it for sometime and the ph was way high. Did some experimenting and I had to use almost triple the amount to get the ph down to where it is supposed to be, so I just started using distilled
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 am

grainbelt wrote:have you ever tested your ph after you mix it with tap water?

Yeah, a few times just to know what it was, and I seem to recall something like 2.6. I'll do it again this week when I mix the next batch up and see what it is exactly.
Dean

<<

SlowBrew

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 am

I mix up 5 gallons using distilled water in a bucket and store it in a corner. I've used the same pail full for 5 to 6 months at a time with no issues. I end up making a new batch when the junk at the bottom of the pail gets to be too much for me. The junk is small pieces of dirt, string what ever happens to get in the pail while its open.

Paul
This would be my signature if I was feeling creative today.
<<

Duxx

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 pm

acogg84 wrote:I don't think the Charlie Tally link is any good, I'm not getting anything. I'll do a little more research.

Try using google chrome as your browser. Sometimes IE gets hung up on these pod casts.
Please consider voting for me (Steve Cook) for AHA Governing committee. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/steve-cook

"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle." Zac Brown Band.
Next

Return to Northern Brewer General