Yuengling Traditional Lager: Brewed, tasted and verified!

Welcome new brewer. Great to see such enthusiasm. Best advice I can give is to read the book “How to Brew” by John Palmer. All the questions you asked are answered in there.

Actually, after reading this thread I’m seriously thinking about taking a go at this recipe, despite the fact that I can’t get “domestic” 2-row, C60 or Cluster hops. Or flaked corn for that matter, but a cereal mash with polenta should work just as well, shouldn’t it?

Funniest thing is, I’m planning to do a lager next as a way to build up a starter for an Eisbock that I’ll brew a month later, so even though I could get 2035 (the only ingredient on Ken’s recipe besides the cascades that I could actually source here), I’ll probably use 2308.

If it doesn’t taste exactly like Yuengling, I guess that would be OK; I don’t know anyone here who has ever tasted Yuengling and can call me on it…

Thanks for the information! I will get that book ASAP.
I have one other question;
I want to filter my beer to give it a cleaner look. A golden hue, if you will.
Since I only bottle, can I still do this? Or will filtering remove too much yeast to carbonate after bottling?
Is filtering only good for kegging?

[quote=“Dirty South Suds”]You can’t imagine the excitement of seeing this thread!! I ‘found’ Yuengling while on a business trip to Daytona in 2011. It has been my sole favorite ever since! My wife’s Aunt and Uncle live near Orlando so I get a present when they come to visit in Missouri. You all probably know that it is not distributed West of the Mississippi. :frowning:
Anyway, I am a beginner at brewing. I have made two batches (Irish Red Ale and Am. Wheat) and the third (Cream Ale) is doing it’s magic as we speak.
My question is;
What do all of these terms mean?
Mashed at 150
Single Infusion
Diluted Bi-Carb Heavy Water
C 60 degree L
I want to try a little more complicated recipe rather than just Steeping grains and adding hops during boil.
Is it possible to get a step by step process?
I think I would actually invest in kegging if this turned out well.
Right now I just bottle.
Any help is greatly appreciated.[/quote]

DSS: Are you an extract brewer? C60 is Crystal or Caramel 60L. All of the other things you mentioned are for all-grain brewing. But you could attempt making this beer as extract if you wanted to. here’s what I would do:

Steep 12 ounces of crystal 60L at 150° for 30 mins.
Remove the grains and get the water going towards a boil.
Add 6 lbs Pale, Light or “gold” liquid extract and 1 lb of “brewer’s corn syrup*” (note the asterisk)
when everything is at a boil, add ½ ounce of Cascade pellets (boil for 60 mins)
with 10 minutes left in the boil, add ½ ounce of Cluster pellets
Ferment with Wyeast 2035 American Lager yeast.

• Brewer’s corn syrup is available at online suppliers and I think some people get away with using clear Karo corn syrup from the grocery store. Yuengling has a good amount of corn in it so using a corn product in the recipe is good but I don’t think you can steep flaked corn but I could be wrong on that. When making a lager, you have to ferment around 50° so if you don’t have temp control at that temp, this may turn out bad for you. I have a MAKING LAGERS page on my site… link below… go to MAKING LAGERS. Good luck.

[quote=“Dirty South Suds”]Thanks for the information! I will get that book ASAP.
Since I only bottle, can I still do this? Or will filtering remove too much yeast to carbonate after bottling?
Is filtering only good for kegging?[/quote]

Don’t bother filtering. Considering using fining agents instead.

Just chill your beer overnight and add 1-2tsp of rehydrated galatin to the carboy. Let that sit for 24-48 hrs and rack off the compact layer of lees.

[quote=“hans caravan”][quote=“Dirty South Suds”]Thanks for the information! I will get that book ASAP.
Is filtering only good for kegging?[/quote]

Don’t bother filtering. Considering using fining agents instead.

Just chill your beer overnight and add 1-2tsp of rehydrated galatin to the carboy. Let that sit for 24-48 hrs and rack off the compact layer of lees.[/quote]
Or just give it more time before you bottle it. It will clean itself up if you just let it, especially if you place it in a cold space for a couple weeks after fermentation is fully completed.

Just be aware that clear Karo Corn Syrup contains added vanilla and salt.

Just be aware that clear Karo Corn Syrup contains added vanilla and salt.[/quote]
Ooh. In that case, I wouldn’t use it. It’s been awhile since I had to attack things from an extract angle so try to find “brewer’s corn syrup” at online suppliers or something at the grocery store where the ingredient list doesn’t contain anything you don’t want. Professor, thanks for the heads up.

I have also brewed this recipe and am enjoying it very much. I am from OH, but live in HI and can’t get Yuengling here. Also, my last name is Yuengert so I think I share some heritage.

[quote=“Ken Lenard”]
Leinenkugel has been around since 1867…[/quote]
I didn’t realize that they were that old. Where did they get Fruity Pebbles in the 19th century? :wink: Sorry, the only ones we see around here are the Fruit Loops flavored ones.