From the Master Vintner blog, the straight goods on metabisulfite and human health.
One of the things I hear frequently from people who find out I’m a technical guy for winemaking is, “I’m allergic to the sulfite in wine. What can I do?” My heart sinks when I hear this. Sulfite allergy is such an all-pervasive myth that it seems like an endless tide of misinformation to stand against, and even some of the people who should know better (like wine educators and salesfolk) sometimes give the impression that there’s some validity to the idea that sulfite is in some way contributory to allergic responses or headaches from wine.
Because they don't. They literally can't.
Read the rest at Master Vintner