Yeast packet is clumpy

I bought some pub yeast from imperial. I went to pour it in my starter wort and it was clumping right out of the packet. Never seen that. I’m concerned it may have gotten too warm in my garage refrigerator. It smelled ok but I’m concerned about using it. Any insight from anyone?

Do a shaken starter? Or is it dumped into fresh wort?
Sneezles61

I’m doing a starter. It was so funky that I had to put a sealable lid on it and shake the hell Out of it to unclog it. Very unusual from what I’m used to. I think it might have started to ferment and I may just put it in the fridge now and use it tomorrow when I brew. Like I said, very strange

Some yeast clumps as it flocculates. No big deal and a desirable yeast trait at times. What yeast was it?

1 Like

It’s imperial pub ale. Only used wyeast previously. I’m going to go with it and see how it turns out. Thanks for the reply

Oh right you said that. As i suspected from the Imperial website…
“ One of the most flocculent brewer’s strains around, Pub will rip through fermentation and then drop out of the beer quickly.”
Yeast of a feather flocc together

Are U floccing with me? :nerd_face:
Sneezles61

3 Likes

I bet you have been waiting to use that

1 Like

Door was left wide open… :wink:
Sneezles61

As usual, my worries were for naught. Best yeast I’ve used. 4 days and it took me from 1.041 to 1.006. Beer is actually clear and just a tad rough around the edges. If this Is indicative of the norm, then I’m sold on imperial pub. Can’t wait to harvest it and go to it again.

Good puns by the way

1 Like

The only issue with highly flocculant yeasts are they are generally not as attenuating. Glad it worked out.
Wyeast1968 London ESB Ale Yeast/ WLP002 English Ale Yeast/ A09 Pub / Lallemand London ESB

I hear you on the attenuation, but this ended up being the best of both worlds. I used a starter also and was getting krausen in the starter, which was a new one for me. Like I said, I think I’ll harvest this coming week and see if I can duplicate it.
the boss, I mean wife, may not like it, but dang it this is science.

1 Like

It’s in the name of great brews… Conserving some money… and sharing… The “boss” should be all in with that, eh?
Sneezles61