Yeast nutrient. Starter

Me creating yeast starter. For wedness day brew session. Now me reading. Some use yeast nurient while creating a starter. Or like me use yeastnutrient the last 10 min into the boil. Whats the best way to go.

i’ve been skipping nutrient lately. if the yeast is built up and healthy/fresh its not needed imo. I’ve used it many times and prefer 10 before the end of my boil

I’ve been skipping it too. My starters seem to be just fine.

If my yeast has been hibernating for a long time… I will, a cheap insurance…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I use 1/2 tsp last 10 mins of boil on every brew for cheap insurance. I don’t bother using in starters anymore.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I use it for both starters and during the last 5-10 minutes of boil on brewday. Especially as per @sneezles61 suggested to wake up a tablespoon or three of slurry that has been dormant. I had read somewhere that it is especially important for the starter. Zinc is at least one of the nutrients that may be deficient.

1 Like

I just used yeast nutrient (1 tsp last 10 mins of boil) for the first time on my 10 gallon brew on Tuesday. I pitched a jar of 1318 slurry I had in the fridge for a few months and it started rippin within 4 hours from pitch time. I think I’m going to make this a standard during brew day moving forward.

Me do use it the last year on every brew. My yeast does seem to like. It. Me got the mash water going for a belguim trippel. Today