Yeast longevity - how long will Lallemand Nottingham keep?

I was given a basic “Irish Red” starter kit (containing a packet of Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast) for Christmas but have just got around to opening and reading the instructions. It seems that I should have kept the yeast in a cool place (i.e. fridge) but, unfortunately, it’s been stored in a location that can get quite warm (high 60’s/early 70’s). Should I just buy a new packet or is what I have still usable?

Thanks in advance.

What is the expiration date on the packet of yeast?

I have used old Nottingham with no issues but if you worry about it make a starter with it to increase the amount of viable yeast cells.

1 Like

Go ahead and use it, but have another one on hand to add if the lag time drags on too long,

Some extra information. Dry yeast will lose up to 20% viability per year when stored at 68°F. This was an answer referring to a wine yeast. Does it apply to all dry yeast, no clue.
http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/storage-dry-yeast

Don’t see why it wouldn’t… Wine yeast and ale yeast are pretty much the same thing, same species.

I think for the $4 I would buy a spare and if not needed it is always handy to have some dry yeast on hand for an emergency. Toss it in the fridge and some day if you have a batch that won’t take off it will be very handy.