Xmas beer

If you got an OG of 1.071 with a 4G yield, that calculates out to an OG of 1.056 for a 5G batch, or 1.063 for a 4.5G batch. Don’t be afraid to measure your SG before pitch and adjust accordingly- in this case by adding 1/2 G chilled water.

I actually did add about a half a gallon of chilled water into the wort before pitching. I just thought it would help cool it down more and add a little more volume. I didn’t take the gravity though. Should I have?

If it’s actually 1.063 that makes me a feel a lot better haha

You’d feel better at.071

I like to use a refractometer on brew day… minimizes the amount to steal… I use a finishing hydrometer for the FG check… Sneezles61

Bottled the Gingerbread Porter this weekend, had a little taste of it. I really like it so far. Super tasty, the dominant flavor is ginger but the additional spices and the molasses add a good background to it. It was a tad bitter for my tastes, but not overwhelmingly so. I think I may switch up the hops I use next time. Also, maybe reduce the roasted barley so it’s not super roasty.

Over all, however, great so far and I’m excited to try it in a few weeks after bottle conditioning.

That’s great now tweak it to your taste. What was the final Ibu?

I think it came out to about 40 IBU. I used Magnum as a bittering hop, not sure why now.

As always, take detailed notes… Its a shame to brew a brew you really like and its not written down… Thats a bummer right there… :disappointed: Sneezles61

Some may say that is high for the style but it’s personal preference. You tasted it before it was carbonated so that will make a difference. Spiced beer is best aged as are porters IMO so try to save some for the future. I’m trying to brew my Porter one year in advance. I’m drinking the stuff now that I brewed last year. This years I’ll drink next year etc.

Gotta say all - the Gingerbread Porter was excellent. The folks at my annual Christmas party could not stop drinking it. Couldn’t be prouder, and I still have plenty for Christmas day. I think in the future I may boost the ABV and make it an “imperial” version of this. The problem with a beer this rich is that it is certainly not a “session beer” at all, so I’m thinking of doubling down and making it a full on heavy, dessert porter

1 Like

Glad to hear it, can you post your recipe? The one I made came out great as well. The body and the color and head are awesome but the flavor isn’t as gingerbready as I wanted. I may pull back on the molasses a tad and add more ginger next time. I really need to get a refractometer though since I have no idea where I am on the ABV.

Using a refractometer BEFORE pitching yeast is a great way to test… Finish up with a finish hydrometer is the most accurate to tell if its close to done… You also have a sample of your brew too!! Sneezles61

Well I’m going to stick with getting a refractometer because I’m still doing 1 gal batches and a hydrometer is a waste of a beer lol. Although I may be upgrading to 5 gal soon.

1 Like

Serve it sparingly. Goes good with the Christmas cookies.

I don’t use the term " pairs well" to :wine_glass: for me

I would be happy to help! My buddies at the local brewery helped me with this spice schedule, but just be forewarned I didn’t measure these out with a scale or anything. One thing I think that both they and @brew_cat emphasized and made a world of difference was the use of fresh spices!

15 mins - a knob and a half of fresh ginger, including skin, ground up in a cheese grater
- about a quarter, maybe a little less of a 12 oz bottle of Grandma’s brand molasses
10 mins - 2 sticks of cinnamon in a muslin bag tied to a string and tossed into the boil
- about a teaspoon of whole cloves, ground with a mortar and pestle
- about a teaspoon of ground nutmeg (i couldn’t find fresh, whole nutmeg)
5 mins - about half an ounce of Willamette hops

Molasses, according to the guys at the brewery, will definitely dominate the taste of the beer if you use it too late in the boil. I might even use it earlier next time, but at 15 mins I got enough taste of it without being overpowering. Hope this helps!