Winter and I am away from my AG setup so I did an extract kit yesterday from our host. It’s the Brickwarmer holiday red. Brewed it a couple of years ago and we enjoyed it. Strong enough so you won’t care about being warm and the Mrs. likes it.
The expected OG from the instruction sheet is 1.079. Sounded about right with the fermentables. What I got was 1.10 So I mixed it up a little since this is the time to introduce O2 anyway and took another sample. 1.10 again. Shrugged my shoulders and sprinkled on the yeast. This morning it is bubbling away nicely.
Usually I don’t bother with an OG with an extract kit but had my hydrometer handy so why not.