wort chiller

sorry if this is a dumb question but is the wort chillers 3/8 i.d. or 3/8 o.d.

I always wondered the same thing. I thought about making one. I’m in construction and I was talking to the plumbers as they would get a better price and he asked me the same thing and I didn’t know.

Or 1/2"

or 5/8" if you really want to get cool :mrgreen:

I bought 1/2" did some research and its bout the most efficient

I just built a chiller out of 1/2" (id) type UT tube. I was originally planning on 3/8", but the hardware store didn’t have a couple parts I needed in that size so I bumped it up a notch.

It got its first live test today, and I’m pretty happy with the results - I got a full 5 gallon boil down below 80F in a bit less than 15 minutes. That’s with the tap not turned on all the way on account of trying to keep a leaky faucet from spraying water quite so all over the place.

Used mine today and was very pleased. Did a full boil and with ice bath and chiller I was abt 8min to 75ish

I made one with 3/8" soft copper coil tubing a long time ago, and that size it is hard to get copper fittings to match. I think it will fit up with 1/4" fittings but those are not common. I’ve tried - I wanted to get at least a couple of elbows to tidy up the connections to the hoses.

I think the 1/2 soft tubing will mate up with 3/8 fittings and can be soldered together (elbows, threaded adapters, etc).

[quote=“twdjr1”]I made one with 3/8" soft copper coil tubing a long time ago, and that size it is hard to get copper fittings to match. I think it will fit up with 1/4" fittings but those are not common. I’ve tried - I wanted to get at least a couple of elbows to tidy up the connections to the hoses.

I think the 1/2 soft tubing will mate up with 3/8 fittings and can be soldered together (elbows, threaded adapters, etc).[/quote]
go to a truck shop or like a napa 3/8 is extremely common on truck air brake systems. I just used nylon tubing and clamps