Wort chiller for wort circulation?

Can I use my copper wort chiller for circulating my wort through my hlt to maintain temperature? Want to make sure there is no off flavors.

If it’s designed for that… Immersion chillers have some kinda gizmo in it to change the water stream… A CFC is the one that’s designed for this purpose…
Sneezles61

I’d be worried about it plugging up and getting a bunch of goo in it. I think you can make something that’d work.

That is exactly what HERMS systems do. Mine has a small coil in the HLT that the wort circulates through. I think my coil is too small so your immersion chiller might work better. If I try a step mash using the coil and HLT it either takes forever or never reaches the next step.

What is a CFC? WMNoob, instead of 1/2 inch to 3/4 copper/ I would sanitize it atfer each use with 180 - 190 water for that reason. What about stainless?

C- counter
F- flow
C- chiller…
Sneezles61

Stainless is very durable and easy to clean but does not transfer heat/cold as well and is more expensive.

Thank you all for the information

I was going to use copper 1/2 inch instead of stainless. Is there an issue with flexible copper? I think there is 8-10 feet.

I believe most CF chillers are more like20-25" There are kits you can buy with all the hardware that us a garden hose for the outer jacket. Some people wind the copper wind the copper around a cornie keg to shape it.

I made one of those… I couldn’t have picked an uglier garden hose… I did not use convoluted copper for the inner hose, which I believe helped that style…
I’d say, look at the hydra IC …
Sneezles61

Your hose is kinda like my kegs. Not pretty on the outside but what is inside counts. My CF was a Christmas gift from my dad a long time ago. RIP and thanks dad, it has gotten a lot of use.

2 Likes

I used a parallel counter flow copper gizmo… I does work… a wee bit better than the CFC I built… but it works best when I turn down the volume and trickle into the fermenter…
Sneezles61

Don’t know why but I thought you were a plate guy. My brother in law uses a plate chiller and swears by it. I haven’t ventured there yet.

Made a mistake in what I want to know. I was wandering if I could use may coil wort chiller as a HERMS coil. Want to put in a HERMS coil in my hlt. I will use the wort chiller to chill the wort later. It will help with the sanitation of the chiller. I wanted to raise the wort temp, sparge and voulaf all through the pump. I do apologize for not having my information right.:grin: I am still trying and thanks for your patience.

1 Like

I was an ice bath person until last year. The end of last year started using the wort chiller.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do that… Who knows whats lurking in there when you only brew… very seldom?
To be able to implement it as a herms then re-combobulate it for chillin’… regular vinyl tubing won’t like the heat too… Thats my 2 cents worth…
Sneezles61

You can create. A coil your self as well. And circulate the wort that way.

2 cents more than I had when started the day!

1 Like

I do have a coil that I created from copper. Not sure if I want to go from the top (in and out) or put holes in pot?