Women Dominated Brewing Until They Were Accused of Witchcraft!

Interesting article in Smithsonian Mag.

1 Like

A common thread in the world… Start some rumor, and alot of peeps believe it…
Cast their crooked fingers at the accused, and chaos followed… The real fingers to follow are the others pointing back at the deviant…
Thanks for sharing that!
Sneezles61

I alway knew that the midwives, healers and wise-women were accused of witch craft back in the day. Mostly by the church whose monks were the only ones allowed to “treat the sick”, mostly with ridiculous and dangerous methods like bleeding with open wounds or leeches. Had no idea that many women were burned for brewing beer!

1 Like

Didn’t Monks have the “Holy Mans” blessing to make ales?
No matter how we ended up where we are today, there was some horrible events being used that got us to today…
And there are still nay-sayers yet today?
Sneezles61

Interesting piece…
Well, all I know is I’ll be firing up my cauldron Saturday with my familiar cats around to keep the mice out of the grain. And likely use my broom to do a fair amount of sweeping…

5 Likes

The stereotypical witches caldron may have been a mash tun. Because there were no standardized measurement systems until basically the industrial revolution, the witches incantation “eye of newt, 3 bristles from a bats wing” is a stereotype/ bastardization of the amazing wealth of ingredient knowledge and units of measurement purveyors needed to know to follow recipes from around the trade routes.

1 Like

You know in your hearts that as soon as there was a profit to be had so pushy dude entered the picture.

3 Likes

That is a cool read. We at ORBC are actually a majority female-owned brewery.

5 Likes

BURN THE WITCHES!!! :grin:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Merlin the VooDoo…?
Gather fire wood!
Sneezles61

1 Like

So. . .if she weighs the same as a duck. . .

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

Roasted?
Sneezles61