WLP940 Mexican Lager

I believe this is the best lager yeast I’ve ever used. I’ve used it several times; multiple packages over numerous generations (up to 7). It always attenuates well and it produces a brilliant beer without filtration.

Thinking I’m going to put this in service on my Oktoberfest this year. Ssshhhhh don’t tell the German’s! :shushing_face:

1 Like

Too late…i told them.

Hey Unc… That exclamation gizmo got turned upside down… Was you imbibing already? Sneezles61

I’ve heard good things about that yeast. Have to give it a try soon.

Thinking about it… German immigrants introduced lager brewing to Mexico. This is likely an offspring of a German lager yeast.k

1 Like

I’ve been using WY2206 almost exclusively for lagers in the past year or so. Even for my bohemian pils and I’ve been really happy with the results all around. Great attenuation, drops clear after a couple days chilling and a malt focued end result. Probably not a whole lot of difference in teh strains. Like you point out they probably have a very similar ancestry.

1 Like

Hey @loopie_beer I’m looking at brewing one of these down the road. Your experience with WLP940 seems uniformly positive. No problems with “throwing off a lot of diacetyl” that I read from one reviewer?

I may pick this up from a home brew shop in Orlando. Always used Wyeast from our now defunct LHBS.

I used this last Summer on your recommendation, and really liked 2206, it took off fast(I did a SNSYS) and I recall it dropped clear quickly. My notes as I’m reviewing them this am are pretty scant as this is the last brew at the old house, and we were chased around by Dorian a bit, preparing to move…etc. I can’t find a final gravity recorded. No slurry left, unfortunately

I could use this w a Mexican Lager, no problem…also available in Orlando or up the coast in Volusia county. Everything now is >1 hour away.

I love that yeast and my LHBS has decided to stop carrying Wyeast for some damn stupid reason…ugh…I used a WLP german lager yeast last time and was not nearly as happy with the final product. I want some 2206 RIGHT NOW but I’m afraid to order it in this damn heat.

1 Like

Anyone try the diamond lager yeast yet? Dry form… I’m going to very soon… Hoping you that do lagers has a report…
Sneezles61

Some good info in this thread on the Diamond dry yeast…Denny opines, info on origins, using lager yeast at ale temps, etc…

1 Like

I see it’s a relative of 34/70… In a sort of way…
Sneezles61

I think they are all related. I use Bavarian Lager yeast exclusively I have used 34/70 they both work well

I’ll do a side by side… Still waiting for a sack of barley to show up… Must put it on a turtles back… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

Ok, ordered the grain and hops for a Mexican lager, plan for a shade under 5% abv. Going to bitter with ol reliable magnum and then use 1 ounce of Motueka at 5 minutes. Basing this somewhat on a BYO article but different yeast (34/70 slurry->SNSYS)and a bit more Munich malt than they used hopefully for richer malt character…hope to turn this around fairly quickly.

2 Likes

what’s the rest of your grain bill?

6 lbs Maris Otter
3 lbs flaked corn
6oz of Munich (6L*)

1 Like

That’s a lot of corn. Tasted it yet?

That is a lot of corn. I will let you know.:corn::corn::corn:
Not ready yet.

I’m toying with the small lager recipe I brewed recently. Couldn’t decide if I had too much corn or just not enough bittering hops. Everyone else loved it but I wasn’t a big fan. Come to think of it I didn’t brew it for me though…hahaha