Wings N Beer

Absolutely my favorite meal / snack in the world. For the Beer you can go with almost anything - Lager / Stout / PA.

I rarely find a wing style I don’t like, but for the most part very few restaurants or bars can match what I have been making at home.

Here is my Ontario Maple Hot Wings recipe - a staple in my house.

Sauce: (for 15-20 wings)
.5 tbsp veg oil
1-2 tbsp Butter
dash Vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp Ontario Grade A Lanark County Maple Syrope
2-3 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot
1 tsp - 2 tbsp Hotter Hot sauce (Optional dependant on deisred heat and flavor profile - adjust amount of Frank’s accordingly).

1/2 clove minced garlic optional - I personnaly don’t use it for this recipe, but do use it for straight maple garlic wings.

Instructions:

1. Dredge wings lightly in flour and deep fry for 15-17 minutes

2)Heat sauce pan to medium heat. Add oil / butter / garlic(optional) / vanilla / Syrope.

1. Simmer for 3-5 minutes to allow Syrope to caramelize slightly.

2. Add hot sauces / stir / remove from heat.

3. Toss wings in the sauce (obvious)

The sharpness of the heat can be manipulated by amount of hot sauce as well as amount of butter. If I want something that is really going to burn my insides, I will usually add extra butter to soften the blow a bit.

I have a bit of a passion for the wing / Beer combo, so if anyone else has a solid recipe they want to post I would love to try and duplicate it.

:cheers:

mmm…wings

I like to broil mine on wire racks pretty close to the heat for 10min on each side. They come out nice and crispy like they were fried, but the fat drips out so you don’t get those fatty chewy parts of skin. The only tough part is covering the bottom of the oven well enough so it doesn’t get coated in chicken fat.

And for the sauce I usually do 1/2 to 1/3 butter and the rest franks and crystal hot sauces, a lot of paprika and a little cayenne, salt and pepper. For a dipping sauce I mix ranch or mayo with sour cream, blue cheese and minced garlic.

Dipping sauce sounds pretty good. I actually never use it myself, but my wife would probably appreciate that one.

Some of my favorite hot sauces to really boost the heat of the base are:
Smart Ass - Hebenero
Ass in the Tub - Cayenne
Dante’s Inferno - Cayenne
Arizona - Jalapeno (medium) / Hebenero (nice and hot).

I have a few other Micro Batch sauces that are just way too hot. Add some once in a while for fun. Feels like eating radioactivity that you can feel moving though you. Uncomfortable sitting down for days.

[quote=“ipa”]mmm…wings

I like to broil mine on wire racks pretty close to the heat for 10min on each side. They come out nice and crispy like they were fried, but the fat drips out so you don’t get those fatty chewy parts of skin. The only tough part is covering the bottom of the oven well enough so it doesn’t get coated in chicken fat.[/quote]

mmmm…fatty chewy parts of skin.

Just like the fatty chewy bits found in Montreal smoked meat (mmm…Schwartz’s)

You’re making my mouth water.

I just love the fryer for ease. Since I set it up in the garage I can keep it ready to go whenever I need it. Try not to go there too often, but…ya know…

Sounds delicious.

My local paper posted the following recipe some years ago, claiming it was the original recipe used by the bar in Buffalo that popularized Buffalo Wings:

1 bottle Louisiana Hot Sauce (I prefer Frank’s Red Hot)
1 stick butter
1 Tbsp vinegar
Melt the butter, whisk in the hot sauce and add the vinegar.

My kids love it and I play with the recipe sometimes. Different hot sauces, adding sweet components like brown sugar or maple syrup, adding funky spices like allspice or Chinese 5 spice. It’s always been a good base recipe to build on for me.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]…mmmm…fatty chewy parts of skin.
Just like the fatty chewy bits found in Montreal smoked meat (mmm…Schwartz’s)
You’re making my mouth water…[/quote]

MMMMMM. +1 …I’m on board with all of the above. The fatty bits of the wings, smoked meat, ribs, chops, steaks, etc. are the best part. Eat that way all the time, that’s askin’ for trouble. But occasionally (barring any existing health issues)…it’s a thing of beauty to savor.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]Absolutely my favorite meal / snack in the world.

[/quote]
Cheers to that! The last couple years, I’ve been smoking mine for a bit and then direct grilling to crisp the skin.

For sauce I mix Franks and Louisiana (3:1), butter, thyme, black pepper and a touch of salt.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]Absolutely my favorite meal / snack in the world.

[/quote]
Cheers to that! The last couple years, I’ve been smoking mine for a bit and then direct grilling to crisp the skin.

For sauce I mix Franks and Louisiana (3:1), butter, thyme, black pepper and a touch of salt.[/quote]

They’re great on the grill or smoker. I marinate them overnight in Tabasco, lemon juice, veg. oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and a splash of worcestershire.
Smoke or indirect grill, direct grill, then toss in sauce of choice. I like them hot, my kids like BBQ sauce. Not my recipe, it’s Steven Raichlen’s.

[quote=“Mabus”]Sounds delicious.

My local paper posted the following recipe some years ago, claiming it was the original recipe used by the bar in Buffalo that popularized Buffalo Wings:

1 bottle Louisiana Hot Sauce (I prefer Frank’s Red Hot)
1 stick butter
1 Tbsp vinegar
Melt the butter, whisk in the hot sauce and add the vinegar.

.[/quote]
Yep that’s it. The Anchor bar in Buffalo uses fresh chicken wings, not frozen. Look for the biggest wings that you can find, not the puny frozen pigeon wings they sell at most stores.
For the sauce use 1/2 cup of honey to the above for a special treat.
Cheers.

Anyone ever marinade or boil their wings in beer?

I’m a loyal brine guy, but I usually drink beer while brining. So it works out well for everyone.

I’m a purist. Frank’s Red Hot, some Butter, and a little sugar to counter the vinegar. wash them wings, dry em, roll em in black pepper and fry. shake in the sauce, pour a beer, and enjoy!

not hot enough for ya?

I put the sauce in a food processor and throw in a couple Scotch Bonnets.

Peace and Chicken Grease!!