Whoops, messed up an 0rder!

So I selected the Imperial Stout ALL GRAIN kit instead extract kit. So now I have a 17lb bag of grain and not the equipment to complete all grain kits.
If I purchase the dark malt syrup to add could I just prepare this following the extract kit instructions?

I should add, returning a 24lb box is as expensive as the original order so I was trying to find a plan to use it instead of shipping back.
(don’t think NB offers free shipping returns?)

You could return the grain and ask for the extract kit. Otherwise you got to mill the grains. You could indeed create your own extract recipy as well of course

If the grains are crushed get yourself a paint strainer bag and make yourself 3 Three gallon all grain batches I’m sure your equipment is big enough

1 Like

I’m sure NB will exchange it for you. I’d recommend doing that rather than some half-azzd effort at your first all grain that will likely not end well.

It’s doubtful that the stout was made with a dark malt syrup. More likely it’s a light or amber malt syrup with dark grains for steeping to get the color.

Problem is the box is 24lb, shipping costs are high, so its cheaper to use this instead.
NB doesn’t offer free shipping returns do they?

It appears the RIS is made with 12lbs of dark malt syrup (6lbs at 60 min and 6 at 15). Buy that and use it according to plan. Take the grains you received and crush them (though they may be crushed already). Place them in a big nylon bag and steep them in about 5.5gals of water at 152° for about 60 mins. While they are steeping heat up a gallon of water to 172°. Lift the bag and gently pour the water over the grain bag. Proceed as normal with your extract.
Basically what you’ll be doing is a partial mash system.

1 Like

He could as well take the next step. Move to all grain. Bit more investment. On. Brewing equipment. Most the thing you have all ready as. Extract brewer

I would try calling NB and explain what happened before doing anything. I have never had to return anything to them but they were very helpful when part of an order was damaged.

Give us more information how the stuff is packed. Are the grains separate and are they crushed? What size is your pot and fermenter? If you’ve never done all grain we can walk you through it.

1 Like

Mayby now the monent. To do all grain. He has most of the grains anyway.

There’s gotta be a homebrew club nearby. Maybe some all-grain brewer would be willing to order an extract kit and trade for the cost difference?

1 Like

Reach out to NB. They’ll probably send out a replacement, but won’t want the all grain kit returned because they can’t resell it anyway.

Hopefully your using a bucket fermenter you can mash in that. Heat 3 or 4 gallons of water to 168 and stir in the grains, cover with a blanket for an hour. Pull the bag and dump the wort back in your pot and proceed just like extract with top up water. If you don’t have a pail go to the hardware store and buy one along with a large paint strainer bag and meat thermometer.

1 Like

You could biab in your pot but if it’s smaller than 5 gallon it’s tougher. You can also split the mash in different vessels. Brewers make wort

1 Like

Thanks for the advise. Ordered the malt extract to use the grain I have and not return it.
P.S. NB offered a discount on the malt extract to help me out!:grin:

1 Like

If your using the grain what do you need the exact for that amount of grain is enough for a pretty strong beer