Who makes the best Oktoberfest you can buy at the store?

Crap is a pretty strong word.
If one were to nit-pick, I fully agree that it doesn’t quite have the rich, malty character that the best German maerzen OFests have, but it’s still a very well made beer, as many of the “Sam” products tend to be.

I’d love to get my hands on some Schell’s O-Fest, having heard some very good things about it. I’ve had some of Shell’s other beers in my travels (and thought they were excellent), but the brand itself doesn’t seem to be distributed here in Noo Joisey.

[quote=“The Professor”]
Crap is a pretty strong word.
If one were to nit-pick, I fully agree that it doesn’t quite have the rich, malty character that the best German maerzen OFests have, but it’s still a very well made beer, as many of the “Sam” products tend to be.[/quote]
“Crap” may have been a bit harsh, but it is the last Oktoberfest I would drink given nearly any other option. Sure it’s a well executed beer technically. But who cares when we have many better options to pick from.

I’d say Sam Adams’ Oktoberfest is crap as compared to the other options available. A fine beer, but if you’re a style nazi like me, it doesn’t fit the style at all.

Picked up a 6 pack of New Glarus Staghorn O’fest earlier tonight. It’s fairly malty, smooth, & tasty. Maybe not the best i’ve had, but the 6 pack is gone & i thoroughly enjoyed it!! Would recommend trying it. :cheers

Finally got my hands on Surlyfest tonight and I’m disappointed. I shouldn’t be since Surly is about the hops and their Ofest is their version so the hops should be expected. It’s good but if you are a stickler for staying within style guidelines than Surly is not for you with the SurlyFest.

[quote=“TheNerdyGnome”]I had both Sam Adams and Schells in bottle and on tap and the differences are crazy. I think Sams on tap is sweet but well balanced in the bottle. Schells on tap is very toasty but not impressed with with the bottle version.
Still haven’t tried the German ones yet and still waiting for Surlys.[/quote]
This is the way I see it: When I’m at the liquor store I have such a wide variety of beers to choose from with so many different styles and brewers. I usually drink beer at home with just my wife and/or a friend or two. So I’ll pick up a beer that I enjoy drinking as I relax (usually an IPA or a Pale Ale). But when I’m out at one of the local watering holes (aka “bar”) it’s almost always a ready made party. A “fest” if you will. And, NerdyGnome, you are right but you didn’t go far enough; No ones Oktoberfest tastes as good from the bottle as it does from the tap. I don’t know what it is. I even pour them into a glass and they still don’t match up. So I never buy any Oktoberfest in a bottle. It is then an extra special treat when it is available and at the bar waiting for me. :cheers:

I like Schell’s and Boulevard’s offerings.

I had Real Ale’s O’fest last night. It’s pretty darn good considering it’s a style I don’t really like. Not sure why I bought it…

Bought a 12 pack of Schells last night. Just as good as I remember. Had a Sam Adams O’fest on tap a couple days ago. I like the Schells better.

I’ve always thought that about most beers.

I had a pretty good tasting last night at our club meeting. We had bottled, domestic examples of St. Arnold’s, Left Hand, Brooklyn, Sam Adams, Pyramid, and Shiner. German examples were Erdinger, Ayinger, Spaten, and Beck’s. Oops, that last one is now domestic. We also had a growler of Real Ale.
The favorites were:
Shiner- malty and clean; Brooklyn- had a nice toasty malt character; Real Ale- malty and clean with a bit more hops than the Shiner; Ayinger and Spaten were the best German examples. The Erdinger was bottle conditioned, and I got dregs so I can’t really comment on that one. It was probably the most like what they are drinking in Germany though. It was like a strong helles.

I just tried the Shiner and Leinenkugels back to back tonight. Both are good, but I am not a big fan of the Shiner yeast profile. It almost seems like they are using harsh hops, but I think there is a hint of phenolic there. The Leinenkugels has more of a German yeast profile, and has a hint of toasty malt. It is a pretty nice representation of the style. I probably prefer this over the Shiner.

Capital Oktoberfest is great. I’m not sure how widely it’s distributed outside of Wisconsin, though.

Like already mentioned, Leinenkugels is pretty good as well.

I don’t generally put a lot of stock in RB and BA, but they got this one right:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/free-state ... fest/2942/

I have a friend who bought the Capital OFest. They probably bought it in Washington D.C. or Virginia. I read their review tonight, and they said they dumped it out. It is probably well made, but like so many great beers, it does not travel well.

Interesting, and disappointing to hear. :expressionless:
I live 50 miles away from the brewery so freshness isn’t a problem for me.

Bumping this thread because of the reference to Great Lakes Brewing’s Oktoberfest. Holy Cow this is a great beer! I was at the Traverse City Beer and Music festival in Michigan and my favorite of 50 vendors was the Great Lakes truck. Man, I wish their stuff made it to Cape Canaveral…

I think Sierra Nevada is producing some top notch Ofest with their collaborations.

I’ve got to admit that I have not been happy with GL offerings as of late. Last years offerings (allow them) tasted significantly under attenuated. Not sure what’s going on but it’s hard to win people back with so many great offerings from breweries out there.

2 Likes

I plan on picking up the 2016 SN Oktoberfest this week. Loved the 2015 version.
Thats the fantastic thing about 2016 and beer choice. If one brewery is not getting it done for you, find a better one.

The beer festival had about 40 Michigan breweries of all sizes represented. Plus some regionals

Becks for me. Yes it’s made in America. Yes it follows the German purity laws-which I can personally vouch for since I work at the brewery where it’s made. Full bodied, malty. Rates high on the delish scale.I will toast another tonight to mad King Ludwig and his bride.

1 Like