White stout

Just been reading a artical in craftbeer brewing magazine. About. White stout. This sounds intresting. Any one. Have been brewing this

I guess Stout originally meant strong and had nothing to do with color. So sure I’m fine with that. When they start calling Red ales that aren’t red I might take issue.

I don’t like. It might mean strong but when the term was coined all beers were dark and roasty that’s were it stays. I hate rebranding. A “white stout” is nothing more than a pale ale with some chocolate or vanilla in it. Just because people put chocolate and vanilla in traditional stout doesn’t make it a stout. It’s the roasted malt. If you don’t like roasted malt don’t drink stout. IMO it belongs in the trash heap along with BIPA and Blonde Ale.

3 Likes

Sounds more like a gimmick than a beer style. Stouts are dark, Pale ales are pale.

4 Likes

I dunno, if you’re brewing a historic beer recipe it might make sense, but otherwise I’m sure it’s just a marketing gimmick. Probably made sense in the 1800’s, but these days with the ever-expanding list of “beer styles” a strong pale beer can fit in about 23 other categories. Ron Pattinson has a recipe for a pale stout in his vintage beer book… can anyone guess which chapter it’s in? (Hint - it’s not in the stout or porter chapters…)

1 Like

I stand with the other grumpy old pedants. Stout is made with roasted barley.

On the other hand have nothing against a black IPA…

1 Like

Is that something like an east india porter?

3 Likes

haha similar.

And that dag gum goofy unicorn fart dust stuff… Tinkerbell went to a disco party and had a few too many with the unicorn…
Beer and brewing started out with a pamphlet size book when the prohibition was lifted on home brewing… Now it makes the Grainger book look like a pamphlet… GEE WHIZ Sneezles61

2 Likes

You mean Cascadian Dark Ale? :wink:

2 Likes

Oh Boy… I think they put that where the sun does shine! :grin: Sneezles61