White Labs - The Vault

I’m pretty exciting for some the strains in my life. Our host is selling some interesting White Labs Vault releases.

The Vault Seasonal Release
A collection of specialty strains curated during the more than 22 years White Labs has been in business. Retailers may obtain select strains for their homebrew shops through The Vault Seasonal Release program, which provides two unique, specialty strains available for ordering every two months.”

WLP603 Torulaspora delbrueckii
“Wild yeast isolated from fruit trees in Denmark. This is one of the three strains that make up WLP611. This wild yeast has been used for ciders and wine but also ferments well for beer. It produces a lot of esters and contributes some phenolics as well. The yeast species Torulaspora delbrueckii is traditionally a longer fermentation and slower attenuator. This strain should be used in a mixed fermentation.”

WLP546 Maranon Canyon Wild Cacao Yeast
The coveted cacao bean was rediscovered in late 2007 by Dan Pearson and Brian Horsley, founders of Marañón Chocolate, while sourcing tropical fruits in the remote Marañón Canyon of Northern Peru. Not knowing what they stumbled upon, the pair sent the cacao tree leaves to the USDA Genetics Laboratory. USDA confirmed it was the same variety that had once dominated the chocolate market, but vanished in 1916 when diseases struck and killed the trees that grew these cacao beans.

WLP611 New Nordic Yeast Blend
Isolated from spontaneously fermented apples on a remote island off the coast of Denmark in the fall of 2009, this culture is a unique blend of three yeast strains (two belonging to Saccharomyces cerevisiae and one Torulaspora delbrueckii).
Although originally thriving in the simple sugar fermentations such as wine and cider, this blend ferments maltose as well and has been used to make a series of true New Nordic Beers, which many were presented at the Copenhagen Beer Festival 2015. This blend has a specific aroma profile, especially at higher temperatures, that resemble classic styles such as Belgian Saison or German hefeweizen.

White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale
This yeast produces a clean, malty beer with pleasant ester characters that can be described as “bready.” It ferments successfully and cleanly at higher temperatures, combined with good flocculation and good attenuation.

What!! 009 is in NB’s hands now!! I used that one a few years ago… I really liked it and got 8 pitches from one vial… Oh boy… Gotta go shopping!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Time to get my Saison on