Whirfloc help

Hey everyone first post. Maybe it was asked already but here it goes. I used whirlfloc for the first time the other day on an extract batch and now I see an excessive amount of sediment in my bucket. Is it possible that I will lose all that beer or will it settle out more. Also should I get a siphon instead of using the spicket on the bucket. Now after I used it I also read that it is not recommended for extract brews I don’t know how true that is. I’m just hoping I didn’t screw it up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Nah, whirlfloc is just fine with extract. I used it with every extract batch I did…and still do with all grain.
Alll that sediment is normal, trub.

An auto siphon is nice to have.

1 Like

One thing to remember with whirlfloc (which I use on every batch of beer I brew) is one tablet handles 10 gallons of beer. I cut the pellets in half and toss half a tab in 5 mins before the end of the boil. Did you ferment in the bucket or are you referring to your bottling bucket? I use an auto-siphon for transfers and just leave most of the trub behind.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

That “trub” that settles to the bottom is part of the brewing process… You have to accept that and once you get a grip on adjusting ABV and Volume, that little bit won’t bother you… Almost 20 years later and it doesn’t bother me… too much anyways…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I assume you are transferring to a bottling bucket since there is trub. I would recommend an auto siphon. Trub is an expected part of the brewing process. If you get into all grain brewing you will really see a lot of it! Whirfloc will help with clarity and shouldn’t be an issue one way or another. So, no, absent other areas, you didn’t screw anything up. Hope your beer turns out well

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I guess I should have been more clear but yes I’m talking about transferring to the bottling bucket.