Where did these esters come from?

I brewed a SN celebration clone. I fermented right in top of my last batch which used WL00P1. I use a fern chamber so the fern temp were right on, and the fermentation was vigorous and started fast. My beer is not good. It tastes like it fermented at 85 degrees. I don’t get it.

You forgot to mention what esters? Just a Fusel? Sometimes astringency and/or oxidation can contribute to those higher alcohol flavors. Also, what’s the ABV?

Not sure exactly. It’s a fruity smell and taste. Unpleasant. Almost a Belgian profile. The ABV was 6.0.

What temperature did you pitch at

Can you post the recipe as well please?

Other than fermentation temp, some other causes for increased esters are:

• Under-pitching yeast
  • Over-pitching yeast (per Mitch Steele’s book)
  • Insufficient aeration/oxygenation
  • Contamination

Anything here sound like a possibility with your batch?

There are some process related things that can create precursors for increased esters, but I would imagine your recipe will chase those out.

11 2 row
.5 carapils
.5 crystal 60

It is possible I over pitched. I dumped it straight on a yeast cake from the beer I brewed before that. I’ve read pitching straight onto the trub of a previous batch can stress the yeast but I’ve never had a problem before. I just installed a term well to my fermenter. I’m wonderingif the temp got away during the vigorous fermentation. Even with a blow off tube, it over flowed.

I pitched a little warm at about 70 because it was about midnight. Didn’t think it would be a problem. But I’m thinking the combination of pitching a bit warm amd such vigorous fermentation, it might have stayed warm for the first day or so.

It sounds like you’ve hit it on the head… esters usually occur during yeast growth, and that’s pretty warm for pitching. You probably got massive yeast growth followed by fast fermentation. But, esters are fairly volatile, so if you have some patience with it they will probably fade as the beer ages. Even though it’s an IPA, that recipe is a good candidate for aging.

I bet you guys are right. Sometimes it helps to just talk it out to figure out you had the answer all along. I think I’ll just pull the lines and stick it in the back for a few months and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

This may be of some use as a reference.

1 Like

Did you use dry yeast did read. This leads. More to easters. When pitched

Where did you read that?

A dutch artical. Will see if i can find it again and translate it