When your burner quits in middle of your brew

Took a personal day off work yesterday to brew a ESB. All was going great mashed in hit my target gravity and I was rocking along. Got to my first hop addition’ good rolling boil and then disaster struck tiny sparks started spitting out my burner like a fourth of July sparkler on a atomic level. . There was flames and sparks blasting three hundred 360 degrees beneath my kettle popping like fire crackers, sparks flying everywhere. I jumped up out of my lawn chair debating either run for cover or get it shut down of course I choose to shut it down. I edge my way closer the sparks blasting at me I quickly grabed the lid to my kettle and like captain America I used it as a shield blocking the sparks from getting me. I made my way to the tank and got it shut down. Then like a fireworks show the final boom and the burner was done. Turned out the burner had a crack through the middle and the cast iron was crumbling into the flames causing the sparkler effect. Damn what a day!!!

1 Like

Wow! I have some crazy stuff but nothing like that!

So how did you finish… Captian America? :sunglasses: Sneezles61

1 Like

Can’t wait for the movie.

1 Like

I had to dig out my 3 burner stand to finish.

1 Like

No video!!! Dude I would have paid to see that!

1 Like

Holy crap! Adventures!

Sounds like an intense brew day. I, too, would pay to see that! What burner were you using?

1 Like

I have had the tank or regulator freeze up (put the tank in water now) but never anything other than running out happen. That’s weird. I also would like to know what brand burner.

Sorry guys no video. I too wish had it all on video. Now I can laugh about it now It was exciting and scary all at same time. The burner was a banjo that I had along time. I changed the burner few times in its life. The last one I got off amazon. Maybe was flawed shoot who knows. Any way going to have to call SS brew tech and see if they will make me a Captain America kettle lid

2 Likes

You’ll need to get a captain America tee shirt for brew day too! Sneezles61

1 Like

I set a mash paddle on fire once. That was fun, and smelled great, but I just sprayed it down with the hose. No super hero antics required.

1 Like

I bet that frozen propane tank and regulator happens frequently in FL. :wink:

Oh come on Dannyboy! You wasn’t even alittle temped to swing that flaming mash paddle around like zauriel and his flaming sword and slay that mash

3 Likes

You should have just stuck it in the mash and made a nice smoked beer.

2 Likes

Well I was wearing a hoodie that day IIRC…

Nope, I’m all electric down here AKA the stove top. Up in NY I have had one freeze up in the summer though. With two big burners going the regulator will freeze or the tank gets an ice berg on the bottom.