When to add flavoring hops?

I’m an extract/specialty grains brewer. When making pale ales, when is the best time to add flavoring hops, 5, 10 or 15 minutes?
I usually add 3/4 of my extract at 10 min. Typically, I add my aroma hops at 1-2 min and sometimes I dry hop.
Thanks!

I usually add high AA% flavoring hops at 10 minutes left. The lower AA% hops at 10 to 15 minutes left. The timing of this just seems to suite my palate.

1 Like

I prefer to add aromatic hops no more than 5 minutes til flame out, and most definitely after flame out. Now I see a Brulosiphy did a deal and the majority of peeps preffed dry hopping…. I will have to experiment to see what I prefer…. thats the key…. Sneezles61

Traditionally, it’s considered that flavor additions go best at 15-20 minutes and aroma additions at 5 or less. Then there’s dry hopping which adds aroma, and flavor because aroma=flavor.
BUT as flars and sneezles suggest, everyone’s palate and preferences are a bit different, so do some experiments over your next few batches and see what floats your boat.
By the way, the Brulosophy XBments that sneezles references are very interesting. I think I’ll be doing some experiments of my own soon.

1 Like

I’ve seen some peeps dissing brulosiphy, and I see it as another tool for me to ponder. I do enjoy what other brewers do and can describe them in a way that will git me to wondering too! Sneezles61

1 Like