When to add extract

I’ve been seeing people add there extract to the kettle right after they take out the specialty grains before the boil. I’ve never really heard this until recently. It’s usually taught to bring to a boil then remove from heat then add extract. Does anyone do this? Or know what any advantages of this would be?
Thanks

Last weekend I brought up my temperature to about 170F then added all my extract, which was a lot. I guess it was a little easier to do as you weren’t working with all that steam. Really people that complain about DME and lumps aren’t being patient. If you problems be patient give the kettle a quick swirl and just walk away and do something else for a few minutes. I find most of it dissolves on it’s own without effort.

1 Like

I thought the idea to adding it at the end is about keeping the brew lighter in color… No caramelization going on…
You play bass in a band then? Sneezles61

I plan on doing a porter that’s all DME so color isn’t really an issue. Yes I play bass.

2 Likes

Me when i add extract. Me add 1/2 in the beginning of boil. Other 1/2 15 min at end of boil. Due to mailard effect. Dme i add when i take grav reading. To check my og is right. If low. Calculate. How much dme to add to reach target. Og. Some how. Me most the time. Right with my og. But the last brew session let my buddy. Calculate the grain bill. Because he is back home capemay. Allways off on his og. Last week let him do a brew session me just watch. He was low again. Did adjust with. Dme. Think its the way he mashes. And sparges.

1 Like

If I am doing a dark beer, I do not see a difference, I add everything after the grain bag comes out. though it you are making a lighter color beer, then I can see the logic in taking off the heat to avoid burning colors.

Bring it to 170, take it off the heat and then add the extract and anything else. That is how I always do it. It just needs to be dissolved. Temperature is not that critical but at 170 it should dissolve nicely.

Caramelization is avoided when you take it off the heat and then stir in the extract.