When, or do Hops come out of Wort?

Making my first wort - Elegant Bastard. Instructions are a bit ambiguous regarding when to remove grain bag and hops from the wort. I plan on using hop bags. What is confusing is, in section On Brew Day, step 4 of instructions states:

Add 1 oz Chinook hops with 0 minutes remaining in the boil

But there is no mention as to disposition, and timing of disposition for the grain and hops.

Do I take the hops and grain bags out before fermenting, i.e. before adding the yeast? and if true, at what time. before cooling the wort? Or, does the grains and hops simply remain in the primary fermenter until transfer/kegging?

Any help appreciated!

Ed

You should leave them in until after the chill. Some people leave them in for the duration. The last brew i did had a big dose so i bagged them but threw them into the fermenter and then pulled them out when i added some dry hops. For EB id leave em in

Now I’m confused… You left the grain in during the boil?
Sneezles61

Got it… after the wort is chilled the hops come out. Thank you!

Sorry… I miss-stated grain bag issue in the narrative. The instructions are clear as to when to bring the grain bag out. Thank you!

1 Like

If it calls for hops at zero, the boil is done, in goes the hops… Bag or not.
Sneezles61

Understand. Instructions are clear as when to add hops, but nothing on removing the hops.

Just for discussion, it appears when to remove hops is optional. I can remove after chill, or simply transfer them to the primary fermentation carboy. Now, if the boiling pot has a spout for transfer, (mine does not - simple kettle), hops (especially if in a bag) would not necessarily transfer. (ya think I might be over-thinking this???) Anyways, my choice is to transfer the bags (4 hop bags total), or remove them after chill.

What is your fermentation vessel? Are you using a bucket? For Elegant Bastard (which is delicious btw, just did an AG batch few months back), I would simply toss the flameout hops in and cover the kettle, then chill. I would not personally remove the flameout hops, they will settle before you are ready to bottle. If you are using a bucket, I’d just pour the contents of the kettle into the bucket and aim to leave a bit of the hot break and hop matter behind, or you can just straight dump it all into the fermenter. This can be done in a carboy as well, but you would need a funnel.

:beers:
Rad

I personally try to keep as much hop material and hot/cold break out of my fermenters. But I have a great system with a fantastic whirlpool. I also save and repitch slurry so it’s important to me.

1 Like