Wheat/Pale ale

I plan to do a wheat pale ale- lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin inspired; however I am not trying to clone it. I was just wondering if I should use a protein rest? Are all wheat malts malted unless they say un-malted wheat? I know the NB flaked wheat says its the same as torrified just flaked? Anyways I planned on doing in LBs/OZ’s

6-Rahr 2 row
4-Rahr white wheat
1- flaked wheat
1-Crystal wheat malt 45.5L

8.3 SRM-6.1 ABV-52.2 IBU= Beer smith (Wyeast 1098 and Apollo/Cascade hops)

I have a mash manifold made from reinforced rubber tubing; I had a horrible time draining a oatmeal stout so I plan to drill the holes slightly bigger. Anything I should plan for or expect? I have only ever used wheat in small amounts.

If it says malt its malted. Torrified or flaked is unmalted but the process heats the starches and gelatinizes them so they mash better. Even unmalted wheat starch will generally gelatinize at mash temps so you can kind of take your pick on which wheat product you want to use.

You might want to throw in a big handful of rice hulls since wheat has no husk.

Sounds great; Thanks.

Malted wheat tends to not lend much “wheat” flavor to a beer. I like to add flaked wheat to all my wheat beers to get more of that ‘wheat’ flavor and sometimes cloudiness. Usually only a lb or two, but I recently made a Belgian Witbier with 50% pils and 50% flaked wheat. Came out great!

Back to your Wheat/Pale Ale, I just kegged something I call ‘Hoppenweizen’. Same idea as what you are making. Here’s my recipe.

6lbs wheat malt
3lbs pils
1lb flaked wheat
8oz cara 20
4oz C120

FWH 1oz Admiral
Dryhop 2oz Cascade

Wyeast 3068

Just dry hopped and kegged on Sunday, so it’s not ready yet, but the first tastings were very good!

You really need the unmalted wheat to get that authentic grey/white color in a witbier.

[quote=“Mike Chapman”]I plan to do a wheat pale ale- lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin inspired; however I am not trying to clone it. I was just wondering if I should use a protein rest? Are all wheat malts malted unless they say un-malted wheat? I know the NB flaked wheat says its the same as torrified just flaked? Anyways I planned on doing in LBs/OZ’s

6-Rahr 2 row
4-Rahr white wheat
1- flaked wheat
1-Crystal wheat malt 45.5L

8.3 SRM-6.1 ABV-52.2 IBU= Beer smith (Wyeast 1098 and Apollo/Cascade hops)

I have a mash manifold made from reinforced rubber tubing; I had a horrible time draining a oatmeal stout so I plan to drill the holes slightly bigger. Anything I should plan for or expect? I have only ever used wheat in small amounts.[/quote]

I’m a few months late on this thread, but how did your recipe turn out? I’m looking to try something similar.

It was very good. The color when in the sun was impressive; close to the skin of a orange. I switched the recipe slightly for 55.2 IBU.

1oz Apollo @ 18%-30mins
.5 oz cascade 5.5% -30mins and then a oz of each for a week dry hop. I hit the OG on the head. FG stopped just shy and the beer finished at 6% I will be brewing this again for sure. 1.058 -1.012

I don’t have the most refined pallet its not something I train that often but I remember in this beer occasionally catching a slight after taste of almost honey dew melon or cantaloupe. The only thing I could think of was the yeast and Apollo mixing. It was pleasant though. If you brew it let me know what you think.