Whats your souring set up

I been working now for few months on just a souring beer setup for nothing but sours. Not that im worries about contamination. I want a set up for both. Maybe sour a Parti-Gyle while brewing. I was using my ss brew tec mash tun with the heating pad that they sale but after a heavy year of use it quit working so right now im use induction with my ss brew kettle it works really well. But its not as efficient as i wish and think i could be.

The only real bug you have to worry about cross contaminating is Brett and that’s a bit of a boogeyman. I use the same equipment for everything and have never had cross contamination.

Right now im using my regular equipment.Im not worried about contamination . I just want a efficient set up for sours and my regular set up…

Do you ferment with sach first and then pitch your bugs or pitch all at once? I do the sach then secondary on Bret in a dedicated keg. I kettle sour now but want to try setting up another keg with some lacto bugs and again keep it dedicated. I also have a oak barrel I’m planning on using. As far as a kettle I don’t dedicate one

My lactic bacteria brews are always soured first then boiled and add hops and Saccharomyces cerevisiae . When im using brett depending what im wanting to gain in my brew is how i pitch it. Some are 100% brett and others are mix fermentation. The only thing i keep separate from my brews is siphons and hoses and etc. A good cleaning and hot water and the right sanitizing chemical’s and sanitizing practices you will never have to have dedicated fermenters. Unless you want one like you Brew_cat. I have a keg thats been going for 3 years with brett in it that i just add different beers too and age on the brett after fermentation. The lactic bacteria would be a hard one due to it liking warm temperatures and have a low ibu tolerance. I also have a wild yeast stain that i cultured from wild cherries that been brewing with for 13 years now that i have kept alive.

I kettle sour. Yep, I’m a chicken. I’ve found that 12-13gals of wort will stay around 100° for a few hours even in 50° temps.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with kettle souring. It sure beats what we did 20 years ago. Fresh wort with a handfull of unmilled grain left out. Puke smell rotten burpchuck wort that you low boiled for lengthy time and prayed that it turned out ok.

1 Like