Whats your labeling strategy?

Cap writing for singles, but if I want to do real labels, I use a color laser printer on thicker paper, six labels per sheet, then dip the backside of the label in skim milk and apply to the bottle and the milk dries like glue. Taking the label off is easy - they slide off under warm water.

Me too. Except, like an idiot I figured I could leave one batch completely unlabeled and I’d somehow remember which one that was. Of course I forgot…

For gifting this year the wife and I are gonna come up with something fairly simple involving hanging a label of some kind on with some green gardening twine.

We discovered the joy of New Glarus products this year, and found to our delight (ok my delight) that their labels come off very easily after a bit of soaking. But I’m not about to stick anything back on those lovingly washed bottles.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I typically write on the cap with a sharpie for the few beers that I bottle.

If its a beer that I plan on gifting or for long term storage, I like them to look nice and make labels on the high end laser printer at work. I label most of my mead and wine and either purchase labels or print them at work.[/quote]

You guys are ALL WRONG…

The proper label has my address and is placed in your mailbox with the flag up. Then you can rest assured that it will be properly identified and consumed in a timely fashion… :wink:

1 Like

+1 Bingo!

The basic info that I like on my Avery labels is brew name, bottle date, and batch #. I’ve only had 2 problems these labels. Both issues are related to water and ice when putting the bottles in a cooler to bring the brew somewhere. The first issue was resolved when I switched from an ink jet printer to laser (no more running of the ink), but the second one still occurs. Moisture eventually (actually, quite quickly) removes the labels.

YMMV

Necropost alert!

I just made up some bottle hang-tags, so I can hand them out as gifts and not worry about removing labels when they come back. Check 'em out:

Saison: http://imgur.com/a/rV3pl
Gose: http://imgur.com/a/vXLW2
Stout: http://imgur.com/a/rSkWa

1 Like

Those are great! Sneezles61

1 Like

I used to get little white tags with a string from work they called “laundry tags”. They were great. Just hang off the bottle and when done cross off that name and use the back. When I was first brewing I made labels for most everything but that got old quickly. After the tags ran out I also wrote on the caps with a Sharpie. Now I write on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the keg.

I must say @deadwolfbones hang tags are cool and a great idea.

1 Like

I have been making labels for all my bottle too but have decided that its way too much work. Now I only make enough for some I want to give as a gift. What I do now is make one larger label that I seal in plastic and hang that from the shelf in the fridge that corresponds to that certain beer. I have been thinking about using different colored caps for each brew to help differentiate too.

Print out some labels on regular paper then soak them with milk and stick them on the bottle. You can also use glue stick. I use the brewers friend label maker it’s free.

3 Likes

I have numbered all my batches I have brewed so far in my brewing log book. I take a Sharpie and write that number on the bottle cap. So in case I ever forget, I just look up the number in my log book.

What happens when you give them away?

I send a quick text with that information. That way, my friends can quickly refer to the text since they always have their phones with them. I also can just copy and paste it and text it to other people. So I’m really only writing it once.

I do the 3/4" Avery labels and print the important information on them. I started with color coding, then moved to writing a brew code on the caps with Sharpie. Both proved to be a pain. Since I consume the bulk of each batch, I’m not really worried about appearance. My brother also gets a stock of brew, but he’s not worried about it either. If I did some for presentation, I’d go through the trouble of doing a full label, but for now it’s just extra work and hassle.

2 Likes

This is my thoughts on labels.

1 Like

You must not be brewing enough. I try to have a few months stock for the unexpected. Life happens

I do a lot of IPA’s. Like them fresh. Plus I only brew about 15 gallon a month.
And everybody wants some.
Sadly my state laws only allow 15 gallon every 3 months. And can never have more than 15 gallons on your property at any given time.so they are basically forcing me to drink the evidence.

1 Like

What the heck state is that? Do they come around and check?

Alabama… I hope they don’t ride around and check. If so I’m screwed. Got three fermenters going and drinking on 4 cases and enough grain to do 10 gallon.

Is that some kind of blue law that they forgot to repeal?

Nope… These are the “new” less restrictive laws. Sad really.
Up until a couple years ago we couldn’t by beer above 7.2%ABV unless you bought it as malt liquor.
And yes we have a bunch of crazy blue laws left on the books.
I guess that’s life in the bible belt.