Whats everyone brewing now, ready for summer

All I have is Munich pilsner and wheat available. So today I brewed a mock bock that will end up being 5 gallons of no alcohol beer for my wife. I also crushed grain for a 5 gal pilsner I’ll bang out when I get home from work tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll get to the store for a couple sacks later in the week. Need to keg some kegs filled

Tell me more about this no alcohol mock bock, please.

Ditto.

I’ll start another post about it

I got pretty weird with an Amber beer kit I got with all of my equipment. Amber is boring and the kit was just sitting there for a bit. So. I added chocolate malt, an assortment of hot peppers and 4oz of cacao nibs.

Ask Flars how to bring it up a couple of notches… really. Sneezles61

The Block Party Amber kit ( Yeast Quantity / MrMalty Calculator , http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BlockParty.pdf ) looks like an easy brewing, easy drinking, totally non-offensive ale.

I’ll agree that the kit could be considered boring. But the style (amber) is anything but boring.

Waldo Lake Amber http://www.northernbrewer.com/waldo-lake-amber-all-grain-kit or the Amber recipes in Brewing Classic Styles are tasty without a lingering after-taste.

But, as always, many ways to brew it well.

My WB06 arrived. I will be using the yeast for one or both Hefeweizens. You guys have given me some good information on this yeast. Three other beers in the line up before I get to the Hefes.

1 Like

Break out the blow off tube that yeast is vigorous fermenter. The clove and banana esters are kinda dailed down more like a American wheat yeast than German hefe yeast but is a great yeast.

I would say that the wb06 had more flavor than the German hefeweizens I’ve tried. The most recent German style hefeweizen (zirkus boy) by magic hat I tried had no where close to the flavor that I’ve had in the 3 hefeweizens I made with wb06. Maybe just preference, but I really like wb06 at 65ish

1 Like

@Sgwink I too found wb06 to be a strong provider of clove and banana. Produced a great hefe.

Magic hats hefe is poor example of the style in my opinion… Get yourself a Hofbrau hefe weizen something better than magic hat

Wow I compared wb06 with wlp380 and the esters not as pronounced as other yeast like wlp300. Wb06 just didn’t produce much banana and was little over clove taste that matched American wheat.

Ferm temps?

I like to keep it around 64/65 for temp

I also found this chart for WB06 and reply to a message from Fermentis at Probrewer.com. Pitch rate and temperature for the desired ester level. I like the clove with banana in the background.

From Fermentis:

The clove aroma/flavor is natural to the WB-06 as it is a POF+ yeast releasing the 4-VG and phenolic compounds.
Please find below the impact of pitching rate and fermentation temperature on the production of isoamylacetate, the banana flavor component.

(graphic)

From the above, we indeed notice a better expression by stressing the yeast and dropping the fermentation temperature; and as reducing a bit the pitching rate.
Of course, the above graphic is an extrapolation of observations we made for fermentations under a range of conditions but we didn’t get to the extremes…
There is only so much you can do.

So, yes please try moving down to 20°C first and maybe even a bit lower, keeping your pitching rate unchanged as you might have a bit more difficult end of fermentation.
In any case, at lower temperature your fermentation will obviously be a bit longer.
After fermentation, we would also recommend lagering at even lower temperature if you have no other issues; down to 4-5°C.

1 Like

I like the idea that they provide you with synopsis of their results and it can let you shape it to your preference !.. very cool… Sneezles61

I’m going to do 20 gallons this Sunday. 10 gallons Vienna lager and 10 gallons Brew Cat IPA. Going to try my home made counterflow chiller for the first time. I’ll start the second mashing during the whirlpool addition. Hopefully I’ll have the IPA tucked in as I start my second boil. I have no problem doing a longer mash if I’m still busy. I’ve done it before just haven’t used the counterflow.

I was a bit skeptical when I first used my CFC, but, I worked very well, boiling wort came out at 64. Took about 20 minutes. Now, a fella brewer built a parallel CFC… His first brew on Wed, was very good. He went from boil to 70 in less than 10 minutes… Now I’m interested, and it looked very neat. Sneezles61

Can you guys tell me if they were home built CFCs? Any other design details? If they were tubing, what was the length?