What's brewing this weekend? Spring recipes? kit hacks?

Looks like we’ll get a early spring like weekend here in the upper mid-west. Calendar says it’s too early to brew outside, but yeast don’t follow the calendar :slight_smile:.

So what’s brewing outside (or inside) this weekend? A good NB kit hack? A spring style?

1 Like

Don’t think I’ll brew this weekend but will be tapping my maple trees

2 Likes

Mine went up last weekend. Sap was already running.

I’ve never tapped trees, but there’s one maple we planted in our back yard. The thing is covered in sap. I did taste a bit (don’t call me a treelicker), and it was awfully sweet tasting stuff. I doubt I’d get much from a single tree, but I could see myself getting into it… heck, if I live long enough to retire, I’ll be one of those eccentrics out on a goat farm, brewing beer, making cheese, tapping trees, and keeping bees.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good retirement, nothing eccentric about it. Unless you grow a beard.

A little cooler here so it might be a good time to fire up the Irish Red kit I have left. I have the third generation of Kviek yeast and a couple of lbs. of left over DME. Might even be the experimental “boil only the hops” batch. Kit was only $20 so not much to lose.

1 Like

Doing a session IPA w/ columbus & centennial, but probably not until mid-week next week. Going out of town for a couple weeks and I don’t want it to sit too long. :slight_smile:

OK OK sap sucker!!!:smile: Sneezles61

2 Likes

Brewed a quick extract sour tonight. 6 lbs light dme boiled 30 min no hops. Pitched 1 qt of Goodbelly, 1 packet of belle saison And dregs grown up from a bottle of bruery wiki wiki tart. Gonna add a can of peach and a can of apricot purée.

Going to keg up our Wee Heavy. Have a bunch of hops and DME and some 60L Caramel so might make a small batch experiment.:spy:

Trying out something new for the GF this weekend. Brewing up a Cream Ale extract kit, but adding two ounces of sweet orange peel for the last 5 minutes and adding two more ounces in secondary along with a few vanilla beans. Hoping for a good spring sipper.

2 Likes

Brewing a blonde ale this weekend (3 gallon, 20 minute boil, based on California Magnum Blonde from Experimental Homebrewing) with some new equipment. I’ll split the batch in secondary and dry hop it a number of different ways. Willamette and Liberty worked out well in a previous batch; and there are some new (to me) hops and hop combinations to try. Test batches are often dry hopped in half gallon canning jars. 40 oz of beer in the jar yields three bottles which is “just right” for taste testing.

2 Likes

Nothing this weekend…just kegging a baltic porter and checking gravity on last weekends wheat.

going to rack my Doppel Bock into a keg. Then, set a room temp, with a blow off tube via the gas output, then, a sample on Monday. If its tasting good, into the layering chamber, er should I say garage! Sneezles61

1 Like

No brewing until Monday. Running low on smoked ribs so doing four racks trimmed to St Louis style. Smoker is on the front porch. Going to be very warm tending it with this winter warm up. Bottle a Dead Ringer tomorrow. Trying a four day dry hop this time to see if it is any better than a seven day. Brew an amber ale on Monday.

1 Like

What no snow in MN

. Not sure if you can see but the kegs are in there. My doppalbock is still fermenting

1 Like

For the moment :slight_smile: … but lots of talk about a “big snow” event late next week (22nd / 23rd) :rage:

I hope so… I need to run some gas through the snowblower.

Let me know on the 4 day hop if you don’t mind. I have a batch of D R in the secondary right now.

Oh crap, we’re up to our ankles in slush… Yeah there are hints that we could get something down the road… I have more faith in yeast that weather predictions… Just me. Sneezles61