What to expect when you dont let liquid yeast sit for a few hours after smacking the inner pack

Hello everyone. I was discussing possible effects of smack pack yeast when you break the inner pack but only let it sit a short while before pitching with a brewer friend of mine. I havent actually done this but wonder if there are any real negative effects. I have noticed that the packs say you should let it sit for a few hours but also say that it isnt necessary. Does anyone here have experience with this? Anyone tested it both ways to see if/any difference?

Thanks

No scientific test, but I’ve done it both ways. I think a proper starter is superior to both… no major difference that I could tell.

The pack swelling only proves viability. That’s why it is suggested that you smack it first. If you don’t, and it’s not viable, you may not know it for the first 48-72 hours. This could lead to a Brewer needing to obtain new yeast and possibly causing additional problems while wild yeast have a longer chance to thrive.

That makes sense. Thank you for the information. Probably time to start educating myself on doing my own starters

1 Like

But do you need to wait for full inflation of the smackpack. If you do make yeast starters.

No need to wait for full inflation. If it even start to inflate you know the yeast is viable. I would still like to see some swelling/viability before making a starter. No need to make a starter if it’s NOT viable.

1 Like