What the funk?

Went up into the top of Michigan’s mitten for a wine and cider adventure this past weekend. I mentioned to one of the cider makers that the nose had what I described as a note of funk. I picked it up in a number of the ciders we tasted at other cideries too. The cider maker indicated that funk was not a good descriptor in the wine and cider world which I can understand. In my way of thinking it wasn’t a bad thing or off-putting in this case and in most of the ones at other cideries. There were a couple that had off-putting aromas and even carried into the flavor profile. I don’t think it was a sulfur note as it wasn’t nearly the smell the Saison I make generates during fermentation. Can anyone help me or send me in a direction so that I might figure out what on Earth I might have been picking up?

Were you picking up Brettanomyces? Most naturally fermented ciders and many wines have a Brett profile as Brettanomyces yeast grows naturally on the skin. The are some that claim true terrior is a result of small difference local yeast interactions.

You’ll need to come over here and try my Apple Joose… I believe its the apples themselves… Call it “apple effervescence”
Sneezles61

Maybe that’s it. I’ll need to go do some more “research”. :wink:

I’m in man! The wife is talking about a Fall bike trip.

Probably serving it to young. Cider needs to age a bit IMO

I’ve been looking through this map of Michigan Breweries trying to find some Brett beers.
Bell’s has one I’d like to try.

Check out these guys.

2 Likes

They have great stuff. Always look for it while I’m in Michigan…which will be later this month staying in Traverse City, on the Mission Peninsula! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Wow so many interesting beers to choose from at Oddside. Their Zure Kers is a Brett beer.

We were just up there doing Sip and Savor. Good time!

They definitely do some interesting things. The brewery is in a cool old building too.