What temp should Chinook IPA ferment at

I cooked last night and by 10 o clock this morning, I’m already having bubbles every 3 seconds. My glass carboy is reading 68-70. Should I be concerned? Thank you.

With most ale yeasts I hold the fermentation temperature at 65° to 68°F. Your fermentation temperature may increase as the fermentation becomes more active. The working yeast produces heat. A swamp cooler filled with 66°F water can stabilize the fermentation temperature. Adding plastic water bottles filled with ice could drop the temperature further if it would be needed.

I will do just that,
Thank you for the fast response.

What yeast? Some are fine at 68-70.

This kind I believe, it came with the deluxe kit.
Safale K-97
German Ale Yeast
Temps range 12-25c to15-20c
Dry Yale Yeast

Sabian
This kind I believe, it came with the deluxe kit.
Safale K-97
German Ale Yeast

The description of this yeast in a catalogue that I have says it okay to 77f.
My last batch was an alt with this yeast that was fermented in the mid 60s. I think it came out pretty good; it’s been lagering at 34 for three weeks now and I’ll be bottling in a week or so.

I bet you could make a great pseudo-pils with that yeast too! :wink:

Thanks for the advice,
Last night the airlock was bubbling every second at 68 , I keep 1 water bottle of ice in the water cooler, it maintains 66 constantly. Today at 4pm western time, the bubbles slowed to 1 every 4 seconds. I wonder if this temp is ok?

porkchop I bet you could make a great pseudo-pils with that yeast too! :wink:

HOW DARE YOU beat me to that joke? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sabian Last night the airlock was bubbling every second at 68 , I keep 1 water bottle of ice in the water cooler, it maintains 66 constantly. Today at 4pm western time, the bubbles slowed to 1 every 4 seconds. I wonder if this temp is ok?

It’s okay.

66°F is two degrees under the top end for the yeast. Might maximize esters that this yeast can produce, but the yeast is supposed to be a low ester production yeast. I would hold your current temperature until FG is reached.

Thank you,
This is my first time ,as if you all haven’t noticed:)
I appreciate all the help. Don’t worry I will have many more questions soon, especially like, when should I transfer into the second fermentation process. Racking? I believe?
Thanks guys.

Please let me know how it turns out when you pop one open.
Thank you again.

Ok, I racked my beer 7 days ago today. Yesterday I noticed 20-30 white specks floating on top. Looking real close, they are shaped like tiny snowflakes. I’m keeping a close eye on them. Today they have not changed in size, but I now have condensation inside the carboy. What is Goin on inside the carboy? Any thing to worry about?

Condensation inside the fermentor is normal. The white flecks you see may just be floating rafts of yeast. This is also normal.

Was your primary time only 6 days? Did the beer reach final gravity before racking to the secondary vessel? I just ask because my typical procedure is to leave the beer in the primary for three weeks. I take a SG reading about day 10 and 14. The beer has reached FG by this time. The extra time is for the beer to clear for bottling.

It was in primary for 7 days, I called a old friend that has brewing about 3 years to come look at it. He said to rack it. So I did. The brew store were I get my PBW and Star San said to cold crash it. I went with secondary. I did pull a sample and taste it, it for sure tastes like flat beer, but a little yeasty. The instructions call for 1-2 weeks in primary and 2- 4 in secondary, and pitch the 1 Oz hops 1 week before bottling?