What’s Brewin’?

It’s possibly the Polaris Hops. They are really unusual. They have a real mint quality that is really strange. I want to try them again because they are so unusual.

Brewed The Plinian Legacy yesterday, was a perfect day for a brew session.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

Red Rye Cascarillo IPA, a rye and Melanoidin exbeeriment. Pushed both grains to the upper limits according to the experts.

2 Likes

Ordering that kit now, I’ve drained all of my hoppy beers…I have Bock, Mexican Lager, Hefeweizen, and a Dunkelweizen(fermenting), on tap. A conspicuous lack of hoppy ales which I intend to address!

1 Like

Sounds like a great exbeeriment!
How high are you going on the rye? I heard Dave Taylor say something that I often have…“I always have to convince myself I actually like rye”,

1 Like

Our host is running a Prime sale, 19% off entire site, good time to order, I just ordered two more batches myself. :innocent:

Rad

1 Like

Great sale, thanks!
edit: got the alll grain Pliny kit for 43 bucks…darn good price, the hops alone cost more than half that.

I just moved the cream ale back on line to finish. I have a bunch of mostly empty kegs that im trying to finish. I’ll most likely brew another wiezen with spelt and some wy3068. Then i may try to brew a Krystal wiezen also with spelt on a repitch. Also more cream ale. Pressured to brew now. I just ordered a 5L mini keg for the camper.

1 Like

I’m at 20% on the rye and melanoidin. Upper limits from what I’ve read.

1 Like

Gotcha. The Melanoidin should really be interesting, that’s flavorful potent stuff. I think I have done 20 percent rye before…I’ll have to check my notes.

Yeah, I’m a little nervous but it’ll be a data point.

On a side note I saw a bright blue bird, almost iridescent, here in western Michigan. Only thing I can figure is it was an indigo bunting. Ive seen them here but have never seen one this shade.

They can be quite variable in color, depending also on the lighting.

2 Likes

Pliny the Elder……Plinian Legacy from NB. Tenth batch of this! Almost through mash rest.

3 Likes

Digital Haze IPA” from Brewer’s Best. My first extract kit in forever, but the price was right. (Got a Free kit from Virtual Home Brew Con)

I’m looking forward to NOT cleaning the mash basket!

1 Like

Yeah I’d do an extract if someone gave me one but not paying for it. Besides mashing is the fun part.

2 Likes

Off the Topper brew day here on a very nearly perfect day in da Burgh. :sunglasses:

Rad

5 Likes

@loopie_beer and @dannyboy58 and @voodoo_donut ‘s Vienna Lager. My first real lager in 150 or so batches. Using Fermentis S-23. Plan to pitch and ferment at 53 degrees.

Update: This yeast is unlike any other I’ve used. Sone yesterday great big weird looking globs are forming. Not seen that before. Gravity is at 1.043 and the temp is 53 degrees.

Update 7-11: Tilt is 1.010 @ 51 degrees. Do you guys do a D rest? I was thinking let it rise to 65 degrees for a day or two then into the keg and into the keezer on gas to lager. Is 41 low enough for lagering?

3 Likes

Just mashed in!!! I’ll continue in the “Saison” thread in recipe’s…
Sneezles61

Did my Weezer NEIPA yesterday. Brewer at a local brewery suggested I use Safeale S-33 instead of my usual Llallemond East Coast. Ahhh…. Exbeeriments!

4 Likes

Completed my Saison recipe and ended up a bit more OG than expected.
Using an Omega hybrid yeast.

“Saisonstein® is an Omega-original, genetic hybrid of two Saison strains, the French (OYL-026) and Belgian (OYL-027). It is versatile, aromatic and attenuative with a silky mouthfeel. It excels in high gravity and it ferments more reliably and thoroughly than its parents. It is spicy, complex, tart, dry and crisp with some bubblegum character present from its Belgian parent, and more fruit and fewer phenolics than its French parent. Attenuation is 80-90% or more.
This strain tests positive for the STA1 gene, an indicator of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus, and is capable of fermenting dextrins, resulting in very high attenuation.”

1 Like