What’s Brewin’?

@sneezles61i enjoy your enthusiasm in this endeavor. Again, far be it from me to tell you what to do, you’d get similar results by diluting your water at a better price point and would likely be more consistent and save you time.
I guess at this point I would do what your doing and try brewing a lighter beer to see how it turns out. The only other option you have is to try boil your water and have it tested for composition. But you would have to do this several times to see if it consistently dropped each mineral.

1 Like

Following Martins stuff… He does give the info… not like its been over analyzed … but a basic idea… The taste will be the guiding light here… Its a hobby… I have more time than many out there…
Dare I say, toons cranked up as I tinker too? :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

That second one looks like it’ll kick some a@@!
build up the yeast for the Gustobrew?
Sneezles61

Brewed the Resilience IPA its pretty easy to brew and i always have the ingredients. My last keg kicked and alas im out kegged beer. Thats a first

1 Like

Preparing the hop additions for todays brew session. Will be some sort of ipa like beer in the end…i think.

2 Likes

Thats my style when i get a freezer full of partial bags of hops left. They most often come out pretty good

Never heard of Moutere…
Sneezles61

Me neither. I’m not familiar with ipa, so i’m winging it😉

2 Likes

“Moutere is the cross between New Zealand Southern Cross and an unnamed male. Moutere is very fruit forward with tropical fruits, ripe citrus, and resinous pine. Some brewers also report aromas of sweet hay that is a great fit for pilsners and saisons.” - copied from Yakima Valley Hops’ website.

Fairly new hybrid form a few years ago I believe. Not sure I want a fruit forward tropical fruit flavored hops in my pils but…ok…

1 Like

Moutere is new here in Sweden as well. But as i’m New to ipa’s, why not try something different? Was spot on regarding og 1.063. I’m doing no chill, so tomorrow i’ll pitch us-05 and hope for the best. No dry hopping, because i’m worried about ”oxidation”…is that correct?

1 Like

No rule saying you MUST dry hop an IPA but the risk of oxidation is higher for transfer or bottling than for dry hopping, IMO. I DH all my IPAs. When i DH in the fermenter I try to do it as fermentation is winding down to take advantage of the CO2 off gassing. Otherwise, I DH in the keg but if I bottled I’d have no concerns about DHing in the first 7-10 days after pitch.

2 Likes

The benefits of dry hopping outweigh the risks. You’ll have better flavor and aroma with little risk of oxidation. I would add them quietly minimal splashing to the fermenter as Danny says during late/active fermentation.

1 Like

Yes i know all of your tips and tricks, but i bottle and splash alot. Hence i’d like to come up with a game plan for an ipa without DH. I’ll let you know how it goes.

You can come close. You’ll want to focus on late kettle additions like hop bursting in the. last 5 minutes, Flame Out and whirlpool additions to try and get the aroma you want for an IPA.

1 Like

In addition to @dannyboy58 suggestion, try fermenting a little cooler 63-64° do you don’t get to of an aggressive fermentation.

This is it…or close to it. It’ll be beer, but good or not, i don’t know.

1 Like

When the bubbles slow to about 10 seconds apart… Its safe to say, the yeast are active and should consume O2 from the dry hopping process… but be as quiet as you can
Sneezles61

That will be beer!

It will be beer! Likely a spicey piney one with some fruity undertones. I know chinook is said to be dual purpose, I’ve only used it for bittering.

After not brewing for 4 months. Did brew a heffeweizen yesterday. Just went into the brew area. Its bubbeling away. Today. My brew partner wants a pilsner. So guess we brew that.

5 Likes