What’s Brewin’?

Glad to hear your son is cancer free.
Yeah, I had a full dark beard I grew on a 2 wk trip to Alaska in 2002 and have kept it since…sorta. As it started to get grey and now white I have cut it closer and closer and now its just white stubble…as my dad used to say “gray hair makes you look extinguished”.

2 Likes

Its Lager season even in Florida ?

Yeah, really it is this year. We’ve had unusually cool temps since Thanksgiving and its A-OK with me.

I’m thinking about following up the bock with a Pilsner, and might look for S-23 again. Interested to hear your thoughts on that yeast as you get farther along.

1 Like

No it makes you look old and distinguished. I shaved my beard recently which i had most of the time since 1971. Grew my hair out after i stopped working. Not completely grey yet but getting there. Ill be 68 this year. I had to buisnesses which i gave up when I was 55. So thats when i consider myself retired from. People would pay me to help them occasionally still do which to me was fun because i wasn’t the boss.

1 Like

I guess i am in the club… 62, quit my job in August, was going to look for something “different” however I seem to be staying busy and having some fun. Talked to a couple of headhunters and just couldn’t get excited about more of the same type jobs. So I think I am done. Although my wife might think I am still looking…

4 Likes

Nothing for a while. Getting frustrated. Not brewing. At least my hand healing few more weeks At least. Did place Grain order Hops. Cleaning sanatizing Products. Did create Few recipy. As well.

2 Likes

Hang in there man! You’ll be good to go in short order

1 Like

My Pils w/vienna lager will come out of the swamp coolers tomorrow AM so I’m thinking I’ll get an IPA brew day in tomorrow then when that lager is ready to come off the yeast cake next week I’ll brew the straight Pilsner I intended to brew last week.

Need to get some beer in the pipeline. I’ve realized the last couple months how expensive good beer is!

1 Like

OR… how expensive crappy brews are…
I’m ready to plan little day trips to breweries around us… Get there about 2 in the afternoon… its very quiet… Have a pint, fill a growler or 2 and skidaddle…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

No one around here will FILL a growler. You have to buy a new one. Because of covid they don’t want to touch your nasty ol growler. I guess I can understand that…I have a pretty good collection of growlers now…lots of cool logos. The best value I’ve found from the local guys that can is the CROWLER. A 22 oz can.

some of those around… I call them “oil cans”…
Sneezles61

1 Like

They were trying that around here even before the 'vid. Very annoying. I use Starsan and meticulous cleaning on the growlers. I’d only go to the breweries that would allow growler fills.
By the way, that’s a good time to remind them it’s extremely hard to get it from contact w surfaces. The same knuckleheads likely refused to wear masks or are wearing the old chinstrap mask.

Not sure if they are filling growlers now but before they were filling flip tops because they were only filling under pressure and the old fashioned jugs weren’t compatible. Most places have been switching to crowlers.

Brewday this afternoon. 50/50 pilsner and munich from Bestmalz. For bittering i’m going for my home grown Näs and for the later additions it’ll be my home grown Saaz. For yeast i’m going with Mangrove Jacks Kveik and at the end i’m hoping for something lager like and easy to drink. Abv about 6% and ibu around 30.

1 Like

Sounds good!

I’m about to mash in for 10 gals of IPA. Had hoped to do this wednesday but the yeast had it’s own ideas. It was a little old and took a step up for it to get rockin’ but it’s ready to go now.

16 lbs 2 row, 3 lbs wheat, 3/4 lb acidulated malt, 1/2 lb c40, WLP London Fog Ale yeast.

1 Like

Both of you are living the high life!!
I did 2 Ales back to back, then dumped Apple juice after I racked the second… Thats ready for cold conditioning…I have a few things to get done… then,
Lagers are up next… Try 3 in a row… not wanting to disturb the yeast cake… Simple Lager… RyeBock… Big Pils…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Up to the boil right now🍺

2 Likes

Chilling and pumping to the fermenters. Easy brew day. Man my brew pit is nasty looking…haha…need to clean the leaves out!

Ended up using el dorado to bitter, el dorado, azacca and centennial FWH, 5 and 170f WP for 20. I’ll DH it with the same 3 when I keg it, hopefully in 10 days or so…

4 Likes

Thats a very unique balancing act!! Just a smidge more… “is someone burning sugar?”
Sneezles61

3 Likes

No one remembers a coward right😉 And yes, it got a little messy at one point. I need to move on to bigger and better things!

4 Likes