What’s Brewin’?

We only got a few inches here in W. Michigan. Made everything white but no big deal otherwise.

Six or seven inches but very dry. Two hours with the snow blower and the FedEx driver had no problems.

I’m thinking Ofest. 6 months to lager

1 Like

I am waiting for my hops to grow (year 3).
Better prepared this year.

I have been thinking about purchasing a STC-1000 and playing around with it.

I’ve got a coffee stout conditioning in bottles and a Chinook IPA on day 7 of fermentation. Brews #2 and #3 for me. Just 1g each, got a Little Big Mouth Bubbler for Christmas. Thinking about increasing my volumes already. :grin:

Surrender to the Dark Side Fewk…

Bottled 50 bottles of Hefe XI last night with the Missus…this one with 3 percent melanoidin malt.
Doppelbock still on gas, setting it and forgetting it, ready this week.
Brewing Cherry Saison v3 in the next day or 3, with vitality SNSYS.
Thinking NEIPA next vs Vienna Lager…

Started my small batch BIAB on the stove top a few minutes ago. 2 gallon batch with 4lbs Golden Promise and 1lb Flaked Oats. My wife wanted to choose the hops so it’s gonna be Citra, El Dorado and Mosaic. No bittering charge whatsoever, just gonna bomb it at the end!

Drink it super fast. My experience is that a beer with no bittering charge has no stability at all.

Thanks for the input @loopie_beer. The plan is to drink them rather quickly. I’m trying to do some different combinations in small batches to use up the many hops I have and to find some combos I like. The only thing I’m dreading is bottling day as I haven’t done that in years but it will only be a dozen and a half at most.

Yeah, I bought a 3gal keg for this reason. :slight_smile:

I just read that alcohol is more important than exercise for longevity but Cherry Saison health drink!

2 Likes

So today… I’m going to try make a small brew… 10 gallons finished…
12 lbs base malt
4 lbs flaked maize
2 lbs rice
I saw this somewhere else and there was quite a bit of good replies… I’ll bitter with northern brewer, 1 oz, then… one will get … you guessed it, cascades… The other I’ll use grunheist… Just trying my heavy hand at something lighter for a change…
How do you make a small brew? Sneezles61

Added first dry hop to a galaxy/Nelson ipa…kegged an Elysian the wise clone.

I think son and I are going back into our notebook and tweaking some recipes that were not so good. See if we can straighten out some ideas we had. Should be interesting.

Mashed in an IPA about 10 before 6 Eastern. Going to use Melanoidin (2#) and some Lactose (.25 #) to give this beer some body it was lacking last time around. First time using either so it should be interesting if nothing else. Plan to do a DIPA and a black beer as well. This is the first time revisiting the black beer after a disastrous and ill-planned initial whack at it. Should go much better this time and yield some interesting beer. Busy busy busy… Cheers!

1 Like

A man with a plan… BEER! :smile: Do you figure out your gravity before you brew? I do my stuff with paper and pencil, then compare when the brew is in the fermenter… I’ve been coming up a wee bit short on volume lately… I have been boiling a bit harder so I know that I have to tweak my water quantity… That also will get my gravity in line with how I figure… They have been higher too… Sneezles61

2#? What is that percent wise? That’s quite a bit of melanoidin malt.

I use two online calculators. I came up 5 points short on one and dead on with the other. Batch was just under on volume but will fill a keg pretty well. 1st one in the fermenter at 66 degrees 8:50. Now to run a couple errands.

@loopie_beer I read that up to 20% Melanoidin was okay. It’s 18% of the grain bill for this beer. With all the effort towards body we may just end up with a sweet tasting slimy mess!

1 Like

Number 2, the black beer in the fermenter. Working on getting the DIPA on the boil.