What’s Brewin’?

Raining again so I’m Brewing today again. A English IPA with MO my crystal malt and harvested London Ale III yeast. I have East Kent Goldiing and Willamette hops I’m using up. Just threw this together. Balanced the water equal ppm chloride and sulfate

1 Like

I need to brew…just realized I have to sachets of WL yeast in the fridge. London Fog and Cali pale. Don’t feel terribly motivated to brew lately for some reason. Gonna need to soon though because I seem to be well motivated to drink!

6 Likes

Yes a lot of motivation lately

1 Like

Brewing soon, and assessing my water chemistry additives. The calcium chloride has, likely due to uneven storage temperatures and humidity, hardened into a block.I can loosen it up. I know @Denny Conn had said most of these chemicals are pretty stable (except one)any thoughts on if I should replace them?

I think you could get by it rushed. But I would plan on replacing it as it sounds like it’s absorbed water which means you’d be weighing a portion of that vs. dry CaCl2.

3 Likes

Water and brew chemistry…
There is more I need to learn… Seems I get some momentum… Some SOB sticks their foot out and down I go… I can get back up…
I’ve gotta get simple again… Too much " it makes a better brew" stuff floating in betwixt me ears… :mask:
Sneezles61

I’d suggest reading the Brunwater “Water Knowledge” info here General 5 | Bru'n Water

It’s great info on water analysis and adjustment as well as instruction for using the spreadsheet.

Then when you’re comfortable with it download the spreadsheet and start playing. You’ll need excel on your device to use it.

I didn’t even go that far. Read a few articles then played with the Brewers friend calculator. Bought some basic salts and started incrementally. Just like brewing you don’t need to throw a bunch of stuff in

2 Likes

Agreed, most beers I’ve done use just CaCL and or gypsum, occasionally MgSO4. And that’s it.

pH adjustment with lactic acid or citric acid.

4 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve done some serious reading… I’ll find time this fall to catch up and review stuff…
Sneezles61

Pretty simple really once you have a water report

2 Likes

From what I recall of what Martin said, it will lose effectiveness. if possible I’d replace it.

1 Like

Pickling lime to raise pH. Baking soda if you only need to raise it a bit, but keep sodium under 25 ppm

2 Likes

Today. A brew day. Hop rocker ipa. And transfer. A pilsener to the keg. The hop rocker. Beer recipy. From. The brewdog. Catalogue.

1 Like

Kegged this up Wednesday and it looks/smells awesome! Also brewed 10 gallons of our hosts’ Lemon Shandy. I bought some crystallized Orange and will do 1 keg with Lemon and 1 with Orange. I used a slurry of US-05 yeast and it kicked off within 4 hours of pitching and it’s been ripping away ever since.

2 Likes

We’re back!

After a very long pause I am busting up doughballs and brewing Caribou slobber.:grinning::mask:

7 Likes

Nice creamy rehydrated yeast!

The hardest thing was relocating everything after the two stage move. Everything survived pretty well. Doing an easier paint by numbers type brew to blow the rust off and find everything. Will do the Plinian Legacy Kit Next
Before I try to brew my Uber complicated “to Sur with love” west coast Double IPA.

4 Likes

Welcome back @voodoo_donut! Even a bad brew day is better than a good day any other time.

4 Likes

Well I think tonight I will push some of my Burton Ale to my solara keg then test the gravity of the ESB if it’s done cold crash. English IPA is close behind. My SOS kicked so weighing out for another version of it. Really like to get a summer ale going as well. The weather has been fabulous so I haven’t been able to brew. Working on the property.

1 Like

A nice wheat… Don’t the peaches from the CO mountain area become available soon?
Sneezles61