What’s Brewin’?

Whenever I see a steaming brew kettle I get a warm fuzzy feeling. Speaking of which Rad have did you ever have Fuzzy Baby Ducks from NEBCO

https://newenglandbrewing.com/?page=beer&id=5#

Heard Polar Vortex for New England. Cold here but sunny in western lower Michigan.

Never even heard of it, but looks like something I’d like!

So today was a comedy of errors type of brewday. It was simple basic all chinook, easy additions. I somehow missed the 45 min 1 oz addition, so when I got to 15 mins left, I had too many hops and started to ponder what happened. So I tossed the extra oz in at that point, which means this will be less bitter than normal bastard, but no biggie I guess. Then my second propane tank (that I took off my grill) kicked with 10 mins left in the boil, kicked the first one getting up to boil, poor planning on my part. I always plan for extra volume to get about 1/4 - 1/2 gallon more than boil volume and boil down to starting volume, so it probably boiled for about 90 mins total. Dumped the final hops in and stirred up a whirlpool and chilled as normal, will see how it turns out.

The bigger issue from today was my 6 year old brew partner was wearing a super cute long sundress (mind you, it was snowing earlier today so she had pants under and a jacket on over top of the dress, very stylish). . .leaned over kettle to smell and see as per normal. . .yeah, her dress caught fire from the burner. :grimacing: I jumped over and smacked it out quickly with my hands and now have several nice blisters on my hands, but at least she didn’t get burned at all. :pray: Now I can show her my hands and say hey guess what, I love you THIS much! :innocent: I should rename this beer Sammie’s Sundress.

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

That could have ended badly glad she’s alright.

1 Like

I recommend anytime you get a chance to try a NEBCO beer you do you won’t be disappointed.

@radagast yipes!

That’s scary man! Glad she wasn’t hurt!

Pre task planning next time… Wearing appropriate brewing clothes… I suspect gloves, masks and sanitizer and a road trip to find your right hand Brewer helper the appropriate brewing smock! Maybe even have her name embroidered on it too? hhhmmm ?
Sneezles61

I haveFR clothing from my previous work life I wear while brewing. Just saying, natural fiber clothing. Cotton, silk, etc

I don’t worry about flames… Electrical short… Yes… Crocks…
Sneezles61

1 Like

The other day I questioned my wisdom of brewing in shorts. What could go wrong with giant kettles of boiling liquid? Seems like we had a safety discussion some time ago.

Shorts and flip-flops. Bad idea. I learned

1 Like

It’s amazing how we heal… Hopefully the pain becomes a sorely learned lesson (no horrific accidents?)
Sneezles61

Yeah, I brew in shorts in the summer, I’d physically melt in jeans out in my garage. :joy: I did decide a few years back that flip flops were probably not the best idea.

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

I brew in shorts all the time and have never had issues. And, now that I’ll be inside I’ll brew in shorts year round! I ALWAYS wear shoes though.

2 Likes

I brew in shorts as well but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else. Look I used to be an EMT and crewed our ambulance. You would not believe how many people get hurt doing dumb things. When you say why did you do that. It’s never had a problem before. You wouldn’t believe how many snowblower accidents happen. Why did you stick your hand in there?

1 Like

There are many hatracks out there… Best keep a keen eye looking out!!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Memorial Day is 2 weeks away… Best brew a turn around brew this week… Early… Are you all set and ready?
Also… I believe the peeps from the city will invade us up here… We will get supplies early in the week before…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Brewing a cream ale tomorrow using Kolsch yeast.